• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Lockdown Dilemma

Tara95

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Winston hopefully has his final post op after neuter check this Monday. When I asked the vet in person on Thursday she said she still wanted to see him in person (in guinea pig 😂) on Monday despite the wound looking promising and knowing we would be in lockdown from Thursday. They said they tend to operate as normal and they would let me know if this changes so I'm assuming the post op check in that case is regarded as quite important. (He has had about 2 post opp checks last week as we had a few minor issues of him chewing off his stitches and a worrying lump that has turned out to be harmless and was just a result of him pulling his stitches out.
However, the exotic vets is in a different county despite only being a 20 minute car journey away is this allowed in lockdown? To add to this, I would have to travel in a car with my mum (different household) in order to get to the vets. Thirdly is this technically classed as an emergency?

Issue number 2 regarding animal welfare. I work very close to my parents house and everyday for over an hours lunch break I go to their house to feed and walk my childhood dog whilst they're at work. He's over 13 now and if he doesn't go for a walk /go outside he doesn't go to the loo properly atall and this can cause him pain and all sorts of issues mainly because he's a very old dog. So technically I'm my dog's carer, but ofc it's a different household? I've tried ringing the council and they have no idea if I could potentially get fined or not and forwarded me onto someone else who had absolutely no idea. I phoned my dog's vet who told me to phone the council again. I even phoned my Guinea pig's vet (out of desperation) and they were very helpful and believed the need of the animal comes first and that care shouldn't stop. There's no clear guidance for anything and no one has any idea and I really don't know what to do.
Many thanks all 💛

It's all a bit unknown. Would you not be classed as a support bubble with your parents? At the end of the day my gut feeling would be to be sensible but to ensure that the correct care is given unless told otherwise. I.e. if you get told it goes against guidance, apologise and stop. I think it's highly unlikely someone would get fined for something like this unless they were a repeat offender. People are much more likely to be fined when putting others at risk so mass gatherings or just repeat offenders

It's all a bit unknown. Would you not be classed as a support bubble with your parents? At the end of the day my gut feeling would be to be sensible but to ensure that the correct care is given unless told otherwise. I.e. if you get told it goes against guidance, apologise and stop. I think it's highly unlikely someone would get fined for something like this unless they were a repeat offender. People are much more likely to be fined when putting others at risk so mass gatherings or just repeat offenders
Thank you for your help :) Well I live with my boyfriend, I thought you could only have a support bubble if you live by yourself? And also with regards to the journey to the vets I'd have to travel with technically another household to get there.
Many thanks :)

Thank you for your help :) Well I live with my boyfriend, I thought you could only have a support bubble if you live by yourself? And also with regards to the journey to the vets I'd have to travel with technically another household to get there.
Many thanks :)

Ah yea the support bubble is if one of the households is just one person. Again I think some common sense comes into play. If you weren't to get a lift with your mum then how else could you possibly travel. Public transport with a number of other people or a taxi/Uber where there is still another person in the vehicle anyway. Basically there is no way for you to get there without coming into contact with at least one other person and I would think it's safer to mix with one person who is also limiting contact with others than mixing with someone whose job it is to come into contact with lots of other people on a daily basis. Just my personal opinion/thought trail

Ah yea the support bubble is if one of the households is just one person. Again I think some common sense comes into play. If you weren't to get a lift with your mum then how else could you possibly travel. Public transport with a number of other people or a taxi/Uber where there is still another person in the vehicle anyway. Basically there is no way for you to get there without coming into contact with at least one other person and I would think it's safer to mix with one person who is also limiting contact with others than mixing with someone whose job it is to come into contact with lots of other people on a daily basis. Just my personal opinion/thought trail
Thank you 😊 x

Sounds like you are being sensible. I wouldn't worry. I am not actively visiting my parents but I class myself as their support bubble .. if any parent was taken poorly - like twice already in 6months- then I go to help..

Back