• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

London for 4 days

• Thread starter Deleted member 147427
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 147427

Hi I’m going to London for 4 days for Xmas. If I give my piggies plenty of food hay and water will they be ok

No they won’t be ok. As they eat constantly they would eat everything you put in as quickly as they could. Also I’d be worried that if a water bottle leaked they’d have no water. Four days is too long to leave a piggy if they started to show signs of illness while you are away. If you could have someone come in daily to take care of them that would be best. If not could you take them to a friends house or take them to a small pet boarder.

:agr:
I would never leave a piggy for more than 24 hours (at the absolute most).
Anything can happen in that time and I have seen piggies go from fine to needing emergency surgery in less than 12 hours.

If they have a large cage, and you can make sure they have several water sources and large piles of hay then all you need is someone to pop in once or twice a day to top up hay and pellets.
Guinea pigs don't understand about rationing their food and will poo and pee all over their hay so this needs refreshing daily.
Plus they need someone just to check they are ok, the heating hasn't broken, they have water, etc.

:agr:
You cannot leave them for that long.
If you can’t take them with you, then you will need someone to come in to feed them and check on them ideally twice a day but definitely once a day
I go on the 23rd and I'm
Back on the 27th

It was parents that said they would be fine as I did say to them I would ask my neighbour to check on them and they said they would be fine

No, it’s not fine. They need someone to come in to check and feed them ideally twice a day

It was parents that said they would be fine as I did say to them I would ask my neighbour to check on them and they said they would be fine
You need to sit down and explain to your parents why it isn't fine, and they need an absolute minimum of a daily check by a responsible adult.

Wasn't it also your parents who said you couldn't get a proper size cage because they had already bought you one (even though it's too small)?
I understand you need to respect your parents, but you still have to make responsible choices that are in the best interests of the welfare of your pets.

Argh I’ve tried talking to my parents they just won’t listen . They say animals can survive for days . I said I’d they get sick I’ll blame them

This is so sad you clearly love your pets but your parents are making this hard. They will definitely need daily checks. I've left my boys when I've been away for 1 night before but any longer than that and I get my sister in law to help us.

Yeah if id left them alone id be worrying about the constantly ie are they warm enough. Have I given them to much food . Are they sick

Where abouts in the UK are you (roughly)? Perhaps we can help you find boarding for them?

Please, please don't consider leaving them for this amount of time

I'm afraid you cannot leave guinea pigs alone and untended from 23 - 27 December. So there are only 3 acceptable solutions here:

1. You take them with you or
2. You put them into paid boarding (small pet hotel or vets or pet sitter)or
3. You arrange for someone (paid or unpaid) to call in daily to tend to their needs.

No other solutions are acceptable.

I don’t want to stress them out with the travelling

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back