Lone Boar

Reggie&Chunk

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Yesterday, I lost my little boy Reggie. Heartbroken doesn't even cover it, I can't walk into the living room without sobbing. Took him to see Kim yesterday with what I thought was a respiritory infection, turns out he had fluid on his lungs, heart murmur, very low temperature and heart rate. They tried to get his temperature up and have him oxygen but his little body couldn't cope and he slipped away. The night before, although he was puffing a little bit, he was zooming about, eating and being himself. Because I just assumed he would have the appointment and I would see him again in 15 minutes, I didn't even get to have a cuddle with him before he went. I just hope he knew how much he means to me.

So this leaves Chunk on his own. Some of you may have followed his abcess story a year or so ago. The boys had a falling out years ago so we split them up and lived side by side. They enjoyed the company but neither seemed to be particularly attached if one was taken away. Chunk seems absolutely fine, his usual self, eating and drinking fine. He is approximately 5 years old (he was a rescue) so and older boy and isn't neutered. He was always very dominant too. Do I keep an eye on him and see how he goes, or is it mean to deprive him of a friend? I'm just worried that he would bully any other boar! If I were to get another, I would like to do a boar dating service. I just don't know if my heart can take it just yet though.

Siikibam

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
I'm so sorry for your loss. It must be hard to take in, but please be reassured that you did what was right for Reggie. And most importantly, he was loved and had the life of riley. Do take some time to work through your own grief, it's not a quick process.

It's good that Chunk is okay and his usual self. But I'm afraid it would be mean to deprive him of a friend. Boar dating is definitely the best way to go with him, so he can choose his own friend. Sometimes it may take a few goes but it's a good option. I also wouldn't rule out having him neutered if done by an experienced vet. @Bill & Ted had their Bill neutered and he recovered well.

If/when you're feeling up to it, you're welcome to post a thread in the rainbow section for Reggie. Also have a read of the thread on human bereavement. Hugs to you.

Merab's Slave

Forum Buddy
Reaction score
So sorry for your loss. Be gentle with yourself as you grieve.

Chunk will be ready for a companion before you feel ready.
You’ve had good advice from @Siikibam regarding boar dating and neutering.
My boy Micah was neutered last year and is very happy living with the girls.

One other option depending on whether you plan on keeping piggies for many years yet would be to foster for a rescue

Holding you in my heart

Reggie&Chunk

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Thank you both, I think I am going to book Chunk in for a check-up as he has some lumps that I want checking anyway (he has had them for a while and has had them looked at before, just left and monitored). I believe I am not far away from Nevilles Nest so I might drop them a message, it would be lovely for him to find a piggie he gets on with. I want to do the best for Chunk, even if the thought of bringing home a new piggie makes me feel awful right now!

rhymer

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
So sorry for your loss. I sure Reggie knew how much he was loved.
Like others have said Chunk will be ready for a new friend before you are.
I like to see a new piggy friend as an extension of the love for my other piggies as not a replacement. Grieve takes time, so be kind to yourself.
Big hugs.xx