Lone girl...

Pipsypip

New Born Pup
Reaction score
So at the weekend we very sadly had to have our Betty Boo put to sleep due to the mass in her abdomen growing, pain and the vet not thinking she would come through surgery.
The girls were already separated due to fighting but were neighbours but now obviously Doreen is by herself completely. She seems absolutely fine just now, eating drinking etc, she has always been a very reserved, quiet piggy and this hasn't changed. I've enquired at all the local rescues near me (Dunfermline, Fife) but by all accounts single sows are very hard to come by! A couple of people I've spoken to have suggested a neutered boar, what are people's experiences of a neutered boar and (very!) dominant females? I'm really really anxious about bonding myself so was really hoping I'd find a rescue who could help.
ANY advice would be appreciated and how I can ensure Doreen stays OK through this time, I'm spending all evening with her having floor time or lap time but she is a timid shy pig (this hasn't changed at all).
Thankyou!

Siikibam

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
So at the weekend we very sadly had to have our Betty Boo put to sleep due to the mass in her abdomen growing, pain and the vet not thinking she would come through surgery.
The girls were already separated due to fighting but were neighbours but now obviously Doreen is by herself completely. She seems absolutely fine just now, eating drinking etc, she has always been a very reserved, quiet piggy and this hasn't changed. I've enquired at all the local rescues near me (Dunfermline, Fife) but by all accounts single sows are very hard to come by! A couple of people I've spoken to have suggested a neutered boar, what are people's experiences of a neutered boar and (very!) dominant females? I'm really really anxious about bonding myself so was really hoping I'd find a rescue who could help.
ANY advice would be appreciated and how I can ensure Doreen stays OK through this time, I'm spending all evening with her having floor time or lap time but she is a timid shy pig (this hasn't changed at all).
Thankyou!
Firstly I’m sorry for your loss. May she popcorn free.

With regards your girl, the important thing is character compatibility. So your best bet is taking her dating if the rescues are offering that service again. Picking their own friend means a better bond because they like each other. A boar/sow bonding is good. I think it’s a very stable bond from what others say on here.

Don’t be afraid about travelling a little further afield to find her a friend as well. Good luck and I hope she’s paired up soon.
Single Guinea Pigs - Challenges and Responsibilities
Looking After A Bereaved Guinea Pig
A Closer Look At Pairs (Boars - Sows - Mixed)

Zanzan

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I'm sure with dating Doreen will find herself the perfect partner. Good luck!

BossHogg

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Delilah has been by herself since Luna died, she has been fine on her own. She gets plenty of cuddles and interaction with us. I would get another pig, but Delilah is elderly and I don't want to left with another pig. Once she's gone, I won't be having any more piggies.

Pipsypip

New Born Pup
Reaction score
This is really helpful thankyou, I think I may try speed dating at a local rescue but it puts my mind at ease in the meantime and if she cannot be bonded (which is a possibility, her bonding with Betty was alwaaaays up in the air due to her strong opinions on things!)

Bill & Ted

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
So sorry you have lost Betty Boo, sleep tight little lady 🌈
I bonded my old neutered boar with two young ladies. I know it’s the other way around but it has gone very well. Ted lost his brother earlier this year so we got him neuter at 5 years old and found two ladies for him. Then before they got bonded Ted had to board with Debbie at TEAS, a sanctuary for special needs Piggies to be near his vet for dentals, (Lock down problems travelling) so eventually we got him home and bonded them, it’s been a success and they are all very happy
Hope you can find her a friend x