• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Lone girly.

Pipsypip

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Does anybody else have experience of a sow who is truly a single? My little one was separated from her sister who sadly had to be put to sleep a couple of weeks ago. They had never had a good bond, always full of fights and disagreements until finally it ended in a bite. Even as neighbours, they would mainly chatter and argue at each other through the bars. Since being fully single, Doreen has become lots more confident and is now even popcorning, when she'd always been a very quiet reserved piggy before and a bag of nerves. I'm on the waiting list for speed dating for her when a local rescue has some sows and my plan is to take her and see if she matches with anyone. I'm just wondering if anybody out there has had a similar experience with a pig that seems more content alone?
Thanks!

Piggy bonds tend to be about character compatibility.
Being siblings doesn’t guarantee they will really like each other.
It sounds as if Doreen was the bottom piggy in the hierarchy and has the confidence now to let her own character show.
I think your plan to go dating at a Rescue is good.
She will be able to choose her own companion.
Hope it works well.

A truly single piggy is very rare.

So sorry that you lost your other girl.
Feel free to post a tribute to her on the Rainbow Bridge thread if you would like to.

Piggy bonds tend to be about character compatibility.
Being siblings doesn’t guarantee they will really like each other.
It sounds as if Doreen was the bottom piggy in the hierarchy and has the confidence now to let her own character show.
I think your plan to go dating at a Rescue is good.
She will be able to choose her own companion.
Hope it works well.

A truly single piggy is very rare.

So sorry that you lost your other girl.
Feel free to post a tribute to her on the Rainbow Bridge thread if you would like to.
Thank you! Strangely, Doreen was the dominant pig! Is that unusual? I'm definitely going to go ahead with the dating, but am feeling more relaxed about waiting until we find the right match as she is showing me that she is OK I think :)

I'm sorry for your loss.
its normal for the dominant pig to continue to be agitated by the presence of their former cagemate after separation. This is why to test the functionality of a bond during a trial separation, it is never the dominant piggy’s reaction you watch , it’s always the submissive’s reaction which is the key decider.
It sounds awful, but now your other piggy is not there, Doreen will appear calmer because she won’t be agitated by the other piggy’s presence, it’s not necessarily because she actually wants to be alone.

Good luck with a new bond. Once she finds a piggy she likes, she will be absolutely fine. It may take a few tries to find the right friend though

I'm sorry for your loss.
its normal for the dominant pig to continue to be agitated by the presence of their former cagemate after separation. This is why to test the functionality of a bond during a trial separation, it is never the dominant piggy’s reaction you watch , it’s always the submissive’s reaction which is the key decider.
It sounds awful, but now your other piggy is not there, Doreen will appear calmer because she won’t be agitated by the other piggy’s presence, it’s not necessarily because she actually wants to be alone.

Good luck with a new bond. Once she finds a piggy she likes, she will be absolutely fine. It may take a few tries to find the right friend though
Thankyou, that's really helpful. She was extreeeemely agitated by Betty, bless them both.

Does anybody else have experience of a sow who is truly a single? My little one was separated from her sister who sadly had to be put to sleep a couple of weeks ago. They had never had a good bond, always full of fights and disagreements until finally it ended in a bite. Even as neighbours, they would mainly chatter and argue at each other through the bars. Since being fully single, Doreen has become lots more confident and is now even popcorning, when she'd always been a very quiet reserved piggy before and a bag of nerves. I'm on the waiting list for speed dating for her when a local rescue has some sows and my plan is to take her and see if she matches with anyone. I'm just wondering if anybody out there has had a similar experience with a pig that seems more content alone?
Thanks!

Yep. My previous pig Delilah came from a rescue. She was the bottom of the pack there and so I got her as a GF for my boy Errol. They were fine together, but were never in love.

When he went, I made plans to get her a friend, but I stopped when I realised she seemed happier alone. She was more excited, she chose when to eat her food (instead of stuffing it because Errol wasn’t trying to eat it all). She was just happier. It didn’t help that she’d been attacked in her old home and had a huge hole (healed) in the back of her neck from another piggie, so for her, piggies were never really ‘safe’ playmates.

I’ve had loads of pigs, but she was the only one where I just knew she was happier on her own 🤷🏻‍♀️

Back