Lone Guinea Pig

Nicolenew

New Born Pup
Reaction score
I adopted my piggie Willy Wonka a few days ago, my plan was to buy two pigs however I saw my boy and fell in love with him instantly so had to adopt him! He’s 7 months old and has never been housed with other guinea pigs due to his health condition (his bits are always out so need cleaning more that usual etc) he seems confident in his new home but I haven’t heard him make any happy noises! I would love if I could house him with another piggie but not too sure if I can as he’s always been on his own and due to his health condition? my question is how can I make him as happy as he can be? I get him out a few times throughout the day for cuddles, he has floor time and lots of treats! Thanks in advance

Piggies&buns

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum
Your piggy does need to another piggy friend as sadly no amount of human interaction will make up for it.
I can’t see that that health condition should stop him from having a friend at all though.
The best way to find a suitable companion is to go to a rescue centre and enlist their help. For a bond to be successful two piggies have to be character compatible so you can’t just go out and buy another piggy and assume all will be well. If you can find a centre who offers boar dating then that will enable your piggy to choose his own friend and the one will be more successful.
If you do and get a piggy on spec, then you will need to have a plan b in case of a failed bonding and the two piggies will then need to live side by side for through the bar interaction.
Two boars need a cage of 180cm x 60cm.

However, given your boy is in his teens then it can make bonding with another boar trickier - and this is why it is even more helpful to have the help of a rescue centre. Bonding teen boars who are full of hormones can be quite hard. It may be more suitable for you to have him neutered, wait six weeks for him to become infertile and then have a centre help you find him a suitable sow to live with.

I’ve added in some guides below for you to read

Cage Size Guide
Long Term Balanced General And Special Needs Guinea Pig Diets
Single Guinea Pigs - Challenges and Responsibilities
A Comprehensive Guide to Guinea Pig Boars
Bonding and Interaction: Illustrated social behaviours and bonding dynamics
Boars: Teenage, Bullying, Fighting, Fall-outs And What Next?
Dominance Behaviours In Guinea Pigs

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
I adopted my piggie Willy Wonka a few days ago, my plan was to buy two pigs however I saw my boy and fell in love with him instantly so had to adopt him! He’s 7 months old and has never been housed with other guinea pigs due to his health condition (his bits are always out so need cleaning more that usual etc) he seems confident in his new home but I haven’t heard him make any happy noises! I would love if I could house him with another piggie but not too sure if I can as he’s always been on his own and due to his health condition? my question is how can I make him as happy as he can be? I get him out a few times throughout the day for cuddles, he has floor time and lots of treats! Thanks in advance
Hi and welcome!

You mean that he has a prolapsed penis that doesn't retract? This is something that is usually pretty easy to fix for a vet.

Here are our singles and boar guides as well as our boar care guide:
Single Guinea Pigs - Challenges and Responsibilities
A Comprehensive Guide to Guinea Pig Boars
Boar Care: Bits, Bums & Baths

artcasper

*Rescue Buddy*
Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
Hi.... imagine never speaking to another human... that's what your piggy will be feeling.... a good rescue that offers bonding would, I am sure, be able to find him a friend x