• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

lonely pig?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lauralucy

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
not sure if this is the right place for this one.

nelson is on his own until he is old/big enough to be neutered, but now he is beside the other piggies he's talking to them (which is good) rumbling and trying to eat his way through the bars to get to them. Is this normal?

i have another boy (billy) in with the girls, would it be unfair to take him out and put him with nelson til he's old enough or is this not fair on billy?

billy is nearly 2 years old and is neutered, nelson is nearly 12 weeks.

the girls are also interested and are trying to say hello through the bars.

thanks

It might be better to keep him away from the other piggies for now, it can be frustrating for him to be able to smell and see the others but not get to them, can seem to drive a pig crazy!

If you decided to try your neutered boar with him, be prepared for the girls to bicker without him there to keep order. Also he and the baby would need to be out of smelling / sight distance of the girls or they may fight, as neutering does not alter behaviour.

If it were me I would keep baby separate and away from others for now until he's big enough for the op. Or pair him with a new boar and keep them as a pair- no op needed! ;)

thank you sophie. i thought about spike and nelson :) but i dont think i can fit anymore piggies in. i shall see how he goes he's asleep in the hay at the minute. and mayb move him into the living room out of the way OH wont be happy but oh well :)

My Archie was exactly the same when he was waiting to get neutered. It drove me mad and I felt sorry for him all on his own, but it was worth the wait. He's so happy now that he can run about with the girls :)

Hi, I just wondered how this is going now? I have exactly the same situation... :( Have just made a partition in my new cage for my little 3 week old boar to live in - but he is crying and I feel soooo bad!

What to do for the best?!

xx

Ah, really feeling for you Lola. Must be so hard for you to hear and confusing for piggies. Hope things settle down soon for you x

well he is living beside them rumbles a lot at the girls and chatters away to them. he also bites the bars trying to get to them but he will be ok once he is done and he can have a friend to play with.

I think it's best to let him see them, rather than being alone anyway :)

My Cenci is exactly the same since his two friends died, and now he's next to the girls and seems so sad that he can't get to them. :( But he's not being neutered cos I don't trust the vets round here rolleyes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back