• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Long hair care in Texels

hannahs26

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I've just rehomed a pair of what are likely Texel sows, with beautiful soft, wavy/curly hair. Until now, we have had our Abyssinian and our possible Teddy (although she has a very curly back end, and wavy hair on the rest of her, so perhaps she's part Texel too?). We've been using a metal comb and brush on our original pair, but I read that you should use plastic comb and soft plastic brush on Texels, not to damage their coat?

And I read they should be bathed monthly? We have only bathed our original girls twice in the past 10 months, and only when we felt they needed a bottom wash.

How often might Texels need hair trimming too?
Thank you! IMG_20200704_203543.jpg

Beautiful girls! :wub: Piggies do a good job of cleaning themselves so should only need a bum bath when they’re dirty. So I wouldn’t be bathing them monthly. You should try and keep long hair trimmed especially around the bottom. Below is the link on how to trim long hair. It talks about bum baths as well.
An Illustrated Guide to Hair Cutting

Beautiful girls! :wub: Piggies do a good job of cleaning themselves so should only need a bum bath when they’re dirty. So I wouldn’t be bathing them monthly. You should try and keep long hair trimmed especially around the bottom. Below is the link on how to trim long hair. It talks about bum baths as well.
An Illustrated Guide to Hair Cutting
Brilliant, thank you! :-)

They are very beautiful floofs whatever breed mix they are, the haircutting guide that @Siikibam has linked in written by @Betsy is very helpful. You need to be guided by your piggies as to how much bathing and grooming is needed, some keep themselves very clean and tidy, some of them (I'm looking at our Blodwen right now!) arent very good at cleaning their bum skirts at all and might need a monthly bum bath and trim.
You might want to order some Gorgeous Guineas shampoo, for if and when they need their fluffy little bottoms washing? We use Gorgeous Guineas Posh'n'Go shampoo, its very gentle on the skin and very easy to rinse off :)

Please note that not all guinea pigs will stay still (Like The Ever Beautiful Betsy) in the videos. There is a section on the guide on how to cope with skittish piggies. It took a few years not to have anybody next to me and her to gently put her back in place when she wandered off. Very often in the early days she would go around with a trim on one side and not the other!

Oh my. They are beautiful. I think they’ve landed in their feet finding a home with you.

Thanks, will order some shampoo - where is a good supplier in the UK?
Have just used water alone for our other two, but it didn't really get rid of a wee smell completely in one of them. She has a very curly dense bottom though, so she likely could do with some shampoo along with the new girls.

They are very beautiful floofs whatever breed mix they are, the haircutting guide that @Siikibam has linked in written by @Betsy is very helpful. You need to be guided by your piggies as to how much bathing and grooming is needed, some keep themselves very clean and tidy, some of them (I'm looking at our Blodwen right now!) arent very good at cleaning their bum skirts at all and might need a monthly bum bath and trim.
You might want to order some Gorgeous Guineas shampoo, for if and when they need their fluffy little bottoms washing? We use Gorgeous Guineas Posh'n'Go shampoo, its very gentle on the skin and very easy to rinse off :)

Please note that not all guinea pigs will stay still (Like The Ever Beautiful Betsy) in the videos. There is a section on the guide on how to cope with skittish piggies. It took a few years not to have anybody next to me and her to gently put her back in place when she wandered off. Very often in the early days she would go around with a trim on one side and not the other!
Haha, that's a bit like one of ours who hates having nails trimmed. In the early days when I'd lose my nerve, she'd end up with only a few trimmed, and I'd have to finish them another day! 😂

Gorgeous Guineas is a UK company, based in Reading, but they also ship overseas. Just google "Gorgeous Guineas" and their online shop should be top of the results list :)

Back