• You can find lots of information on how to settle in, understand your new guinea pigs in our New Owners Guide Collection but please ask any questions you have in Wannabe and New Owners' section.

Long haired Guinea pigs

beckyxxx

Junior Guinea Pig
Hi everyone. Just wondering if any of you guys keep your long haired guinea pigs hair cuts long for the winter?

My boy has such long hair and I was planning on just cutting the bottom hair for the winter and keeping the rest long to keep him nice and warm. He is an indoor guinea pig but I suppose it’s just extra warmth for him in the colder months. Here’s a photo of his hair x

Attachments

MomoMura

Junior Guinea Pig
What a beautiful boy!

My abysinnian boar (in my profile pic) has his hair grow really long too. During the winter months I let it grow as long as it wants to help keep him warm and snuggly. We still have to trim around the genitals though, for sanitary reasons. If you let it grow long, you have to make sure to trim around the genitals and back legs, because the bacteria from the pee and poo stays there and can cause infections.

If your guinea pig is the type to get his hair matted, you really want to groom them once a day. We don't really groom ours because he doesn't like it, but we quickly trim away any mats, which usually happen on his rear. Definitely something to pay attention to, as mats are really uncomfortable for animals to deal with :(

I'd be happy to post pictures later!

Skypipdot

Adult Guinea Pig
What a beautiful boy!

My abysinnian boar (in my profile pic) has his hair grow really long too. During the winter months I let it grow as long as it wants to help keep him warm and snuggly. We still have to trim around the genitals though, for sanitary reasons. If you let it grow long, you have to make sure to trim around the genitals and back legs, because the bacteria from the pee and poo stays there and can cause infections.

If your guinea pig is the type to get his hair matted, you really want to groom them once a day. We don't really groom ours because he doesn't like it, but we quickly trim away any mats, which usually happen on his rear. Definitely something to pay attention to, as mats are really uncomfortable for animals to deal with :(

I'd be happy to post pictures later!
Your guinea pig cant be fully abyssinian. None of my abys hair grew any longer. Unless I'm missing something about keeping them outdoors. Mine were and are indoors

MomoMura

Junior Guinea Pig
Your guinea pig cant be fully abyssinian. None of my abys hair grew any longer. Unless I'm missing something about keeping them outdoors. Mine were and are indoors
He could very well be mixed! His hair grows in patches like an aby, but it can get quite long (especially in his hind area, which he urinates all over and can get quite gross if we don't trim it >.<). I'd be happy to post pics later (can't on this computer) maybe you can tell better than me! Lol!

Skypipdot

Adult Guinea Pig
He could very well be mixed! His hair grows in patches like an aby, but it can get quite long (especially in his hind area, which he urinates all over and can get quite gross if we don't trim it >.<). I'd be happy to post pics later (can't on this computer) maybe you can tell better than me! Lol!
Yes please i would love to see some pigtures, ive never had to trim my abys i dont even groom them, they do it themselfes, i think you do have a cross

MomoMura

Junior Guinea Pig
Yes please i would love to see some pigtures, ive never had to trim my abys i dont even groom them, they do it themselfes, i think you do have a cross
Mura is the big fuzzy blonde piggy (he's actually pretty thin, but his fur makes him look bigger!). I've always considered him an abby, but now that I think about it... he might actually be a peruvian xD or a cross between the two. Lemmie know what you think!

thumbnail (1).jpg thumbnail (2).jpg thumbnail (4).jpg thumbnail.jpg

The hair on his sides can grow quite long, and grows really frustratingly long around his genitals and hind legs, too >.< We tend to shave him in the summer, and let his hair grow long for winter.

Gem789

Forum Donator 2017/18
Mura is the big fuzzy blonde piggy (he's actually pretty thin, but his fur makes him look bigger!). I've always considered him an abby, but now that I think about it... he might actually be a peruvian xD or a cross between the two. Lemmie know what you think!

View attachment 96653 View attachment 96654 View attachment 96655 View attachment 96656

The hair on his sides can grow quite long, and grows really frustratingly long around his genitals and hind legs, too >.< We tend to shave him in the summer, and let his hair grow long for winter.
Wow what a beautiful piggie

Merab's Slave

Forum Donator 2017/18
I don’t know the breed but they are both stunning.
Myra is a definite candidate for the Floof Club and the Walking Wig club.
I hope we will see lots more pics

Flutterby

PHOTO COMPETITION WINNER
Forum Donator 2017/18
Short around the bum and back legs rest of it groomed and kept tidy.

Cuddles With Cavies

Junior Guinea Pig
My long haired girl lives inside so she doesn’t have to worry about the weather. I do try a leave it a little bit longer though, but that’s mainly cause I like her long but she trips up over her hair quite easily so normally have to cute it quite short. /).-

flowerfairy

Forum Donator 2017/18
I give all 4 of my long haired guinea pigs all over hair cuts whenever they get wet looking skirts at the back. My elderly , slightly long haired sow, Tani just gets occassional bum trims and lucky Rosie just get strokies and nail clips!

Tani

All six

Short haired Rosie with her fluffy sister Cherry