• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Long seasons

Josie_lg

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hiya I’m just wondering what the longest season is you have experienced with your sows? I posted a thread a few days ago but with guidance from a vet am monitoring her before taking her in.
she’s been in and out of heat for about two weeks. And in heat for the last 3-4 days now. What’s the longest season you have seen in your piggies? Have you ever had a hormonal spike in your sows? And when did it die down? I’m going crazy ahaha. We had another one of our girls in a crazy season yesterday luckily only last one day. But she’s never mounted as much as she did yesterday, the other piggies told her off for trying. I was hoping that after hazels very strong season it might have caused honeys crazy season/hormonal spike to end. I was wrong aha.
what age do their seasons normally end ?
like I say , no improvement by end of the week. We will be trying to see an exotic vet about ovarian cysts.

I don’t think that seasons end. How old is she again?

She seems to have been in heat for a while. And I wasn’t sure what the longest heat anyone on here has experianced in their girls ?
She will literally just rumble strut at anything even the hay rack , isn’t mounting or aggressive towards anyone. Just rumbling and scent marking. Been continuous for about 4 days now xx

The only time I've had a sow in season for more than a few days she turned out to have ovarian cysts.
I would ask the vet to check - if nothing else you can be reassured.

The only time I've had a sow in season for more than a few days she turned out to have ovarian cysts.
I would ask the vet to check - if nothing else you can be reassured.
I will be. Thank you. Did all turn out ok for your little one? Xx

I will be. Thank you. Did all turn out ok for your little one? Xx
Yes, thank you.
Priscilla was spayed and has recovered very well.
The hormones all settled down after a day or so and peace reigned once more.
Let us know how things go for you.

Yes, thank you.
Priscilla was spayed and has recovered very well.
The hormones all settled down after a day or so and peace reigned once more.
Let us know how things go for you.
I’m so glad. I work in a vets myself and am beyond terrified at the thought of having to spay her. We are hopefully getting her checked tomorrow. I will keep you updated
Did you manage to find a good exotic vet to do your little ones spay? Xx

I have an excellent local vet who has good experience with guinea pigs so I was confident that they would be safe hands to do the job.
It’s a big decision but I’d had another sow spayed for the same reason a few years ago and all was well. Different vet but a practice I was very happy with.

Hope all goes well tomorrow.
Holding you in my thoughts

Good that you have her seen tomorrow; always makes me feel so much better to have that peace of mind!

Up until recently Pewter had quite strong & long seasons where she would rumble at her cage mate for 3-4 days and just generally be grumpy. She‘s about the same age as your girl and for her it was definitely teenage hormones. Since she’s not as hormonal anymore (maybe 6-8 weeks?) her seasons are barely noticeable and there‘s usually only a day or so of rumbling. Good luck for your appointment tomorrow!

Good that you have her seen tomorrow; always makes me feel so much better to have that peace of mind!

Up until recently Pewter had quite strong & long seasons where she would rumble at her cage mate for 3-4 days and just generally be grumpy. She‘s about the same age as your girl and for her it was definitely teenage hormones. Since she’s not as hormonal anymore (maybe 6-8 weeks?) her seasons are barely noticeable and there‘s usually only a day or so of rumbling. Good luck for your appointment tomorrow!
Wow! That’s comforting to hear. It’s been 3 weeks of occasional rumbling and 4 or 5 days of constant rumbling. I’ve found she does it most when excited, like when I come downstairs in the morning or when I bring a cage mate back from having a cuddle. We have four of them but the others do not care about her rumbling at all. How long did it take for your girl to calm down?
I’ve seen another member on here post that her girl, also a year old has a four week season and then it died down. So fingers crossed. Thank you xx

@Merab's Slave @stef.trg thank you both so much for your advice and concern on my little honey. She went to the vets today. We did a check up and an ultrasound but could find no cysts! Her cervix was slightly inflamed most likely from being in heat over the weekend.
she has advised bloods for hormone testing if she doesn’t improve. However I’m so relieved she hasn’t got cysts. So I assume she may be having a hormone spike and hoping it’ll wear off within the next few weeks. We have an upgraded enclosure coming next week whixh I hope will break the tension as well. But she is quite unhappy with me, she has a bald belly and a funny belly button now hah.
Brought one of my other piggies too because she has a chunky belly and ever since she was a tiny baby has hated having her tummy or anywhere apart from her head touched to be honest. She couldn’t feel anything. So I assume she is just a sensitive piggie as she was mishandled by a vet as a baby and ever since then has cried when being picked up. She is eating and drinking fine. So I think she is just a bit of a strange one.

But thank you so much for your advice and concern. It means the world to me to have somewhere to go to when I’m worrying about my piggies. I am just so anxious about them haha! I was never like this with my first pair of females but since getting these four I have spent a fortune on vet bills. But I wouldn’t change them for the world I do love them xx

What a relief for you.
Your vet sounds very thorough so if there’s nothing they can find it does sound as if she has exceptionally strong seasons.
Keep an eye on her.
She’s a very lucky piggy to have such a dedicated slave.

One of the things I love about the forum is the support we received when feeling anxious about our piggies.
No- one here would dream of saying ‘it’s just a guinea pig’ as we all understand how important they are and how much we love them.

What a relief for you.
Your vet sounds very thorough so if there’s nothing they can find it does sound as if she has exceptionally strong seasons.
Keep an eye on her.
She’s a very lucky piggy to have such a dedicated slave.

One of the things I love about the forum is the support we received when feeling anxious about our piggies.
No- one here would dream of saying ‘it’s just a guinea pig’ as we all understand how important they are and how much we love them.
Very true. And yes I had two of them looking at her ultrasound too. She’s still rumbly tonight. More often when a pig walks past her favourite bed or eats out the bowl with her around. I hope the new c and c cage helps them. She’s such a drama queen aha.
the dominant piggie buttercup is the one I brought along, she is the one with a chunky belly and is very sensitive bless her. She isn’t fazed by the vet visit at all haha.
hope you and your piggies stay well. Thank you again for helping me. Really means a lot xx

I am very relieved to hear that you couldn’t find anything wrong with your girl. That’s great news! Fingers crossed the silly hormones will stop bothering her soon and she won‘t have to rumble at her poor companions as much! Pewter says she knows the naked belly feeling, she currently also has a naked belly as she went for an x ray and a scan on Tuesday. Those little furries know how to keep us on our toes! xx
2469B7D8-B7E1-435E-880D-6D711D68069B.jpeg

Back