• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Looking for advice please.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Today I went and got the cage for the piggies we plan to buy on Wednesday and ok its bigger than I thought.

I was going to put the cage in my daughters room as they will be her pets but I'm worried they might keep her awake at night and also being only being 5years old temptation might get the better of her and I have a feeling she may get them out when Mummy is asleep lol.

We live in a very small flat, so I was thinking of putting the cage in the front room but the cage is simply too huge for where I wanted to put it which leaves either my bedroom or our hallway. Would if be wrong to have them in the hallway? Also it can get a little bit chilly in there (need to bleed the radiators I think) so would putting a fleece over the top of the cage keep them warm enough.

For the time being they will be on the floor if they go in the hallway or my bedroom untill I can afford the stand for the cage in 2 weeks time. I just don't want to upset them, I want them to be happy.

Advice appreciated.

Also pets at home only have boars at the moment which is ok as my Daughter has decided she wants 2 boys, but the lady said that as they get older they will fight and I will have to seperate them. Advice please for those who have 2 boars living together, will after time will I have to get them in different cages?

Sorry for the long post.

A fleece blanket will help keep them warm i use it for my cage as my kitchen can get cold at night. two boar's should be ok together as long as they have enough room. if your cage is big have you thought about making a c and c cage as they can be stacked like mine
piggies012.jpg
so you can give them more room up rather than on the floor they are easy and cheap to make/buy

I have looked into a C&C cage but due to money constraints I can't make one untill just after Christmas, so the cage we just got will have to do for now.

Your C&C cage looks fantastic!

I know i have to cut down on spening money on the pig's lol i got three kid's to get pressie's for and two of them just had there birthday's! I put a fleece blanket over mine up to the small yellow bit as thats the kitchen it does keep them warm also depending on what flooring you have in your hall you could put one under too I'm sure they will be very happy anyway as long as they have veggie's lol

I think the hall is a good place for Piggles as you'll see them lots and will have a chat every time you walk past. Have you thought about adopting a two Rescue Piggles? There's usually a good choice, especially if you would like boys! Is a wonderful feeling to give a loving new home to Piggles who has not had a fortunate start in life.

I think the hall is a good place for Piggles as you'll see them lots and will have a chat every time you walk past. Have you thought about adopting a two Rescue Piggles? There's usually a good choice, especially if you would like boys! Is a wonderful feeling to give a loving new home to Piggles who has not had a fortunate start in life.

I have had a look but cant seem to find anywhere in my area that has rescue piggies.

I will have another look through google and see what I can find :)

I have had a look but cant seem to find anywhere in my area that has rescue piggies.

I will have another look through google and see what I can find :)

Whereabouts in Kent are you?

Crawley guinea pig rescue has some lovely pairs of boys and girls at the moment. Palace piggie rescue (in Crawley) also has some great piggies and I believe they have babies at the moment if you wanted younger ones.

http://crawleyguineapigrescue.org/default.aspx
http://palacepiggierescue.org/default.aspx

What size is the cage you have? The bigger the better for boys to avoid fallouts.

Last edited:
I really wish Pets@Home would get their facts straight. Baby boars growing up together have a really good chance of getting on well with nothing more than a bit of rumbling as their hormones kick in. It drives me mad that they try and impose a single life on the boars from about 12 weeks of age! Rant over.

I really wish Pets@Home would get their facts straight. Baby boars growing up together have a really good chance of getting on well with nothing more than a bit of rumbling as their hormones kick in. It drives me mad that they try and impose a single life on the boars from about 12 weeks of age! Rant over.

That sounds good then, we would of got pairs anyway despite what they said.

Whereabouts in Kent are you?

Crawley guinea pig rescue has some lovely pairs of boys and girls at the moment. Palace piggie rescue (in Crawley) also has some great piggies and I believe they have babies at the moment if you wanted younger ones.

http://crawleyguineapigrescue.org/default.aspx
http://palacepiggierescue.org/default.aspx

What size is the cage you have? The bigger the better for boys to avoid fallouts.

I'm in Chatham and I got the 120 Ferplast cage in pink lol.

Nothing wrong with pink! The 120 cm cage is a good size and the minimum recommended for pigs so great that you chose this one.
Chatham might be close enough for the Crawley rescues (1 hour) so is worth sending them an email. Although the rspca medway is closest to you and may have some suitable piggies. :)

http://www.guineapigrehome.org.uk/gp/centres.asp#Kent

Sadly I cannot drive so would be impossible for me to get there.

The rspca medway is just down the road from my Mums so I'm going to shoot them a email or give them a call tomorrow.

I have to get the piggies by Wednesday as they are a present for my Daughter so if I have no luck there then P@H it will be.

Alot of people get pigs from pets at home and find they are either ill or pregnant. I'm sure your daughter would understand if you explained the difference from waiting and not waiting. Even although she's 5, I'm sure just the promise of guinea pigs will be enough till you get them.

Please also remember guinea pigs are timid animals and spend alot of time hiding. They take along time to come round and no offence to your daughter but at that age she is likely to get bored. I do hope you have thought of this and that you know you will be the main carer. As a child of that age cannot be expected to clean, feed and check for illnesses. Obviously she can help under your supervision. I say this because so often animals are giving up with the excuse "child has got bored".

Good luck in your search, I do hope you choose rescue.

Alot of people get pigs from pets at home and find they are either ill or pregnant. I'm sure your daughter would understand if you explained the difference from waiting and not waiting. Even although she's 5, I'm sure just the promise of guinea pigs will be enough till you get them.

Please also remember guinea pigs are timid animals and spend alot of time hiding. They take along time to come round and no offence to your daughter but at that age she is likely to get bored. I do hope you have thought of this and that you know you will be the main carer. As a child of that age cannot be expected to clean, feed and check for illnesses. Obviously she can help under your supervision. I say this because so often animals are giving up with the excuse "child has got bored".

Good luck in your search, I do hope you choose rescue.

Our P@H are only stocking boars at the moment and they all looked happy and heathly when I went in there yesterday to get the cage. I have got animals from there before and not ever had any problems with illnesses etc.

I also know that my Daughter may get bored and I'm under no illusion that I will be there main carer, which suits me fine as I looked after piggies when I was younger. I also don't intend to give up the piggies if she gets bored as looking after them is something me and her can do together and if she decides she is bored of them then I get them all to myself :))

Also not being able to drive doesn't always matter, sometimes rescues can organise a guinea pig "train" where one or more people can transport the piggies to you :)

Never heard of that before. I would get the train but I would probably get lost as I'm a useless navigator lol.

To be honest I would still check myself, even if they say they are only stocking boars.

Are there any piggies in need of a home on preloved, freeads etc... that you could help?:)

This will explain better than I can about a guinea pig train
http://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=53833&highlight=guinea+pig+train

I looked on freeads, gum tree and preloved last night and couldn't find any except breeders, one lady who breeds them was from Chatham but her website kept crashing so I couldn't get to see what piggies she had available and a other lady has some but hers wont be ready till mid November sometime.

I will look at that GP train link, oh and the sexing one was very interesting. lol

Our P@H are only stocking boars at the moment and they all looked happy and heathly when I went in there yesterday to get the cage. I have got animals from there before and not ever had any problems with illnesses etc.

I also know that my Daughter may get bored and I'm under no illusion that I will be there main carer, which suits me fine as I looked after piggies when I was younger. I also don't intend to give up the piggies if she gets bored as looking after them is something me and her can do together and if she decides she is bored of them then I get them all to myself :))

Thats good, glad to hear that as I have 2 rescues here, who were given up due to the children getting bored and it's so sad that the animal has to surffer due to the parents not seeing the bigger picture. Clearly you have thought about this before jumping in and making your decision I wish everyone did this. :).

In relation too pets at home, ok so they may look healthy doesn't mean they are. There are so many people get there pigs from petshops and find they are unwell. With rescues the pigs stay in quarantine to check they are healthy before going to there new home. They can match the pig to your personality with what will suit you and your daughter. Not too mention these pets at home pigs are bred on demand to make profit, and for me I just can't support such a chain. I understand this is merely my opinion and not everyone agrees but i do think Rescues are the better option.

Although, all pigs deserve a home if you buy from pets at home they will merely just replace it with another pig and for each pig they replace more pigs are given to rescue, it doesn't help the bigger picture. In an ideal world pets shops wouldn't be allowed to sell animals.

Tbh I would rather go to a breeder than P@H but that's because of the problems I had with my bunny I got from there 8... she only lived for 10 months8...

At least if you went to a breeder you could check the health of the parents etc, I think looking at the parents and the living conditions you'd soon guage how good they were. If they didn't let you check, you just walk away and don't get them from there.

(Sorry if this breaks any forum rules)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back