• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Looking Into Space

Julia Rafferty

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I have a two month old guinea pig who suffers from being in-breeding. He does have some breathing issues and issues with his feet. I was wondering if this could affect him neurologically. I have noticed that he usually stands and just looks straight ahead. You could wave your hand in his face and then he would look at you, walk around a bit, and start again. Other than being in-breeded he seems healthy so I was just wondering if this was an actual thing or just him. He is basically a normal pig except for this. Sometimes it looks like he is staring into your sou, but I love him anyway. My mother just recently started to call him derpy and mentally challenged so I was just wondering if this was possible and if it could be caused by his breeding. He is a sweet baby boy and I hope this is normal. Any help is useful.

My dalmation has a lot of birth defects, too. He has multiple nails on one toe, weird things in his eyes (They're fine), and bad eyesight. Sometimes he'll act a little derpy and stuff but he's fine so I wouldn't worry about your little boy. Is he a loner?

My dalmation has a lot of birth defects, too. He has multiple nails on one toe, weird things in his eyes (They're fine), and bad eyesight. Sometimes he'll act a little derpy and stuff but he's fine so I wouldn't worry about your little boy. Is he a loner?
He isn’t a loner. I have had him for about a month and he is fine when he is in his cage with his older brother. He also really loves to cuddle. He really just kind of does it when you hold him and if you put him on the floor. I think maybe it is something he uses to feel safe since he is a prey animal. I have noticed that every time he does, his brother comes over to cuddle with him.

Reactions: Gia
I have a two month old guinea pig who suffers from being in-breeding. He does have some breathing issues and issues with his feet. I was wondering if this could affect him neurologically. I have noticed that he usually stands and just looks straight ahead. You could wave your hand in his face and then he would look at you, walk around a bit, and start again. Other than being in-breeded he seems healthy so I was just wondering if this was an actual thing or just him. He is basically a normal pig except for this. Sometimes it looks like he is staring into your sou, but I love him anyway. My mother just recently started to call him derpy and mentally challenged so I was just wondering if this was possible and if it could be caused by his breeding. He is a sweet baby boy and I hope this is normal. Any help is useful.

Please be aware that guinea pigs sleep with their eye open (they are prey animals!). In this case, they sit unseeing with a far away look whenever they take a nap in the open. ;)

If your piggy is not sleeping, then please have him thorougly vet checked. Overbreeding can unfortunately have major consequences for the animals affected. :(

Please be aware that guinea pigs sleep with their eye open (they are prey animals!). In this case, they sit unseeing with a far away look whenever they take a nap in the open. ;)

If your piggy is not sleeping, then please have him thorougly vet checked. Overbreeding can unfortunately have major consequences for the animals affected. :(
He has a checkup scheduled and is it odd that he sometimes sleepers with his eyes closed? It mainly happens when he sprawls out on the fleece but sometimes in the cage too.

He has a checkup scheduled and is it odd that he sometimes sleepers with his eyes closed? It mainly happens when he sprawls out on the fleece but sometimes in the cage too.

Guinea pigs only sleep with their eyes closed if they feel very secure and are very tired. Normal is sleeping with the eyes open. Sometimes, they can look like have died and give you are real shock until you see them breathing lightly!

My Bedo is regularly sitting in the open like yours, but he is definitely napping!

My Poppy almost always sleeps with her eyes open, and she is so lazy that she does the “playing dead”look to perfection. It can be confusing but I’m so used to her now that I can tell if she is awake or asleep just from looking at her. But it can be a bit freaky at first.

Back