• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Loopy Lloyd Needs His Nails Cut, But Won't Sit Still

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carrotyd

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I need some advice on nail cutting, specifically for Sir Squirmalot, Lloyd, about how to try and minimise his distress during the process.

Trimming Harry's nails is a little tricky, but on the whole he just sits there and let's me get on with it.

Lloyd, on the other hand, will squirm, squeal and wheel like a maniac. He also has black nails, so it's difficult to make the cuts I do manage because I'm worried about making him bleed.

I've tried rewarding him with food, but he gets so hyper during the process that he largely ignores it.

Any help would be gratefully received.

Have you tried feeding him during the nail cutting process? Mrs SB and I use the two person approach I hold and feed, she cuts. We also use these clippers which are great, found out about them on the forum

Black nails are awful, hate them. If you really struggle maybe the vets may do it for a small fee? Claw clipping is one of the worst parts of piggy slaving

Black nails are awful, hate them. If you really struggle maybe the vets may do it for a small fee? Claw clipping is one of the worst parts of piggy slaving

Our "vet" won't touch their nails, and claims they don't need trimming until they're at least 10 months old. Harry and Lloyd are six months, but I couldn't not trim them as they do need doing.

Needless to say, I think we need a new vet...

I'll rope in Mr. Carrotyd, as you suggested. Although he's not as confident holding the guys as me, so I might try him out with Harry first.

I'll also try those trimmers you mentioned. Are the handles rubberised? As we have some similar ones with plastic handles from Pets at Home, but they slip around yor hands.

Okay I think you need a new vet!
I advise that you get someone to hold the piggys whilst you cut thier nails. Also my avatar piggy Poppy has black nails so I use a nail file so I don't accidentally make thier nails bleed.
Hope this is useful!

That is useful @Maisy and Poppy. Do you just file them like you would your own nails or do you have to so it a certain way? He might not squirm as much using that method, I think.

I think that you file normally. Or you could use trimmers for the first bit and nail file near were the blood comes out.

I use a normal human nail file definitely not metal, yeah, I think it is emery boards! :tu::nod:

Hey, my pigs are a bloomin nightmare to cut their nails, If you hold some veggies up high through the bars of their cage so they have to hang onto the bars to get at them you can use the other hand to clip the front nails while they're distracted and don't notice you doing it that much.
The back nails are always easier i think, if you put the piggy on your lap facing away from you and hold some veggies between your knees you can usually get the back feet alot easier too!

That's what i do because i find it so much easier. lol :)

What a morning. After struggling for some weeks to get Lloyd to sit still enough for a nail trim, I managed to do so using the power of parsley as a reward for remaining calm.

Sadly, I cut too close to the quick on the last one and made him bleed. Prepared for this, I asked Mr. Carrotyd to pass me some flour to dip his nail in.

Lloyd, however, saw the bag and jumped in, covered himself in flour and is now running round his cage, with puffs of flour accompanying his every move.

Oh, and as punishment for hurting him, he did a massive wee all over my jeans. I deserve that.20150322_122109.jpg

Oh no! Nail trimming really scares me. Mine are only 6 months old but they definately need a nail trim!

They're too wiggly for me. I'm off to the vets tomorrow. I don't mind paying £10 a month for less stress! :P

Here's a rough guide for the nail-cutters amongst us. if you look at the underside of the nail, you can see where the seam is along its length. Where the nail opens out more is where you should cut. Don't cut below this point. Good luck, everyone! Hope this helps.

We use the 2 person approach -OH holds and I clip using a pair of the scissor type clippers. One of our piggies is a thrashing shrieking nightmare to do and she's the only one who's ever bitten me, and only ever while nail clipping. The others all accept it, particularly of there is coriander involved.

You could wrap them I'm a towel with someone holding and someone cutting. As a support to stop them wriggling.

Yes we use the 2 person approach but with Roddy he's so laid back its so easy just one person lol, he doesn't care what you do. The lady at the rescue told me if you just do them regularly say once a week or something just trim them so little and you won't have up worry about cutting too much

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back