• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Loose Stools..here We Go Again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

irene

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
my sweet cinnamon keeps developing clumpy soft stools..., I take her off veggies and stools return to pellet shaped. The only thing she seems to tolerate is a small amount of Romaine lettuce daily every time I try to reintroduce a diff veggie ( she used to eat anything with no problem) the soft stools return. The last time vet said felt no masses or cysts and she had a course of flagyl, after that happened again and just eliminating the veggies did the trick. Any thoughts?:no:

I would recommend to try and up her diet with fibreplex, but some tender tummies can stay very iffy and it can remain very much an up and down.

I've been through it with my Ffraid, who mostly had gassing and occasionally bloating issues rather than diarrhea, but she had times when she hardly tolerated any fresh veg. I would recommend to give extra vitamin C if you don't use fibreplex which contains additional tummy soothing ingredients.

I would recommend to try and up her diet with fibreplex, but some tender tummies can stay very iffy and it can remain very much an up and down.

I've been through it with my Ffraid, who mostly had gassing and occasionally bloating issues rather than diarrhea, but she had times when she hardly tolerated any fresh veg. I would recommend to give extra vitamin C if you don't use fibreplex which contains additional tummy soothing ingredients.
Thank you for such a prompt response, I'm in the states do you know if this finreflex can be purchased here? As for vitamin c I have drops that can be sprinkled on pellets is there something better?

Thank you for such a prompt response, I'm in the states do you know if this finreflex can be purchased here? As for vitamin c I have drops that can be sprinkled on pellets is there something better?
Ohhhh is that a probiotics? I have bene-bac plus do you think that would be on?

Please see my additional question above thank you

I use fiberplex for my piggies one gets a really runny bum since she had surgery. It comes and goes. She likes the taste. Her bowels were handled a lot in the op so I guess she is not 100%. I always take my piggies to the vet on first sign of anything and be careful one of my piggies had a runny bum only cured with antibiotics. The vets were not keen but I felt she needed something as she was not right, he was twitching her head like a mini seizure. I get fibreplex online for about £15. I keep in my my piggy first aid box. My vet is happy I do this.

Hi , just throwing around a few thoughts

How big are the portions ?
Are any left in his cage that could posserbaly be contaminated by fly,s ?
I dont surpose you know if your veggies are grown on fields that are sprayed with a lot of chemical fertilisers .?

Flagyl, this is a bone of contention , is a very strong anty biotic , and is renowed for its adverse affects on the tummy
I may be wrong but I think it is bared from veteran use in the UK .

Perhaps ask vet to prescribe a more pig friendly anty b

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back