• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Losing Hair Or Just Some Bald Spots?

Status
Not open for further replies.

monster

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I recently got a new guinea pig for me and sundae yesterday she is really sweet and very nice but is very skid-dish right and loud noises frighten her at the moment and i think its because she is in a new home with other pets. And I noticed today that she has some fur missing in some spots and I don't know if its due to being scared and frightened in a new home with other animals, or in her other home she had some other guinea pigs pick on her or if it is balding or if its because she had surgery her owner that had given her to me had just picked her up from someone else home that very same day. I hope someone knows whats going on and could help me with this issues me and cammie and sundae would really appreciate it a lot you people have helped me out a lot with my guinea pigs.

Hi and welcome!

Please have your girl checked by a preferably guinea pig savvy vet re. mange mites and/or fungal skin infection (not necessarily ringworm) for a proper diagnosis and good quality treatment. She may need treatment for either; if that is the case, it would be good if one the treatments was oral or by injection, as you need to wait for at least 48 hours after any topical (spot-on/shampoo etc.) treatment before you can treat for the next product. If there is fungal or mites, you may need to also treat anoy companion.

Has she got an operation scar on the belly? If her belly has being shaved by a vet, it would be about 2-4 weeks ago from the amount of hair growing back evenly, so any operations scars should be still visible, as they have just about knitted. Could you get a better picture of what is going on on her back, please? It is impossible to see what is going on there.
Here is a link to recommended vets in your state: http://www.guinealynx.info/cabinet/index.php/Veterinarians_Iowa

she had no bugs on her at all and sum of it has grownin back but not much and it looked like her belly was shave as well and in sum spots where she has no fur its very smooth like a bald guinea pig and where she has sum of her hair missing its got sum on their its just a little rough
And i could have my normal vet check it out he took care of sundae and her fur did grow back and I'm not woundering if its due to a new enviornement because she got moved around at least 3 different times on monday because the girl the origanlly had her gave her to this other women and she took and i didnt realize that it was the same women and i commented on her post cuz i has seen she had dome guinea pigs for sale and then she messaged me saying that they were all sold but she had another on that wasnt on fb and so she sent me a pic of her and it turned out to be the same guinea pig. so thats y I'm not wondering if its not due to stress because any loud nosies scare the crap out of her and she gets really nervous n statrs o shake when other ppl hold her to and if u make any fast movement she runs away rly fast so could it be to do stress being moved around alot in less then 6 hours maybe even less then that

so i am not sure if i should talk to the origanl owner and see y she is missing sum hair but idk if i should rly do that or if its in my place to do so.

so i am not sure if i should talk to the origanl owner and see y she is missing sum hair but idk if i should rly do that or if its in my place to do so.

I would recommend to have your girl seen and assessed by a vet. You can try and talk to the original owner, but be aware that she may not necessarily tell you the whole truth; so best try both sides.

We have got members from all over the world and many (like I!) are not native English speakers, so would you please use full English and not just text speak? It is making it rather difficult for me to understand what you are saying.

ok n ik she does have a bald spot on her head so maybe is has some hairless guinea pig in her idk but ill see when i can get her in since its 4th of july weekend

ok n ik she does have a bald spot on her head so maybe is has some hairless guinea pig in her idk but ill see when i can get her in since its 4th of july weekend

Sorry, there are no "partial hair less" guinea pigs. It is not clearly visible from your pictures, but if your pigy is a crested with a twirl on the top of her head, the middle may look bald due to the hairs growing away from it; however, this is normal.
Bald patches are generally a sign of a fungal skin infection or skin parasites and need prompt treatment, especially when they are irregular!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back