• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Losing Weight (baytril)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Piggies4us

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Molly was given baytril last Wednesday for a suspected stroke/deep ear infection. she was really poorly and whilst at the vet they weighed her at 1100g. Fast forward to now and she is a million times better (able to walk, not leaning, no head tilt) and you wouldn't know she had been poorly. I weighed her tonight but she was down to 1067g! She is on day 3 of 7 day baytril course. Should I be concerned that she has dropped some weight? She is eating and drinking really really well! Thanks in advance x

Glad she is so much better. I wouldn't be too worried. I tend to allow for a 30g fluctuation with my pigs and she was probably eating less when she was poorly. You could always give her some critical care in a bowl just to give her a boost. My Sophie was poorly recently and lost weight and now she is better she hasn't lost any more but has not really put any on either and I do find this is pretty common after an illness.

Molly was given baytril last Wednesday for a suspected stroke/deep ear infection. she was really poorly and whilst at the vet they weighed her at 1100g. Fast forward to now and she is a million times better (able to walk, not leaning, no head tilt) and you wouldn't know she had been poorly. I weighed her tonight but she was down to 1067g! She is on day 3 of 7 day baytril course. Should I be concerned that she has dropped some weight? She is eating and drinking really really well! Thanks in advance x

Glad that your girl is feeling much better in herself. There is no reason to worry. Your piggy is a good weight anyway. ;)

Please be aware that just the daily variance between a full/emtpy bladder/tummy can be around 30g. this is the reason why we recommend to always weigh your guinea pig at the same time in the feeding cycle (like before their dinner) for the best chance of comparable results.

We recommend to go on alert if a guinea pig is losing 50g/2 oz of weight within a day or two (it means a guinea pig is not eating much) or 100g over a longer period, and book a vet appointment during regular hours.
If a guinea pig is already on treatment for an ilness or recovering from an operation, a certain amount of weight loss can occur and is nothing to really worry about as the guinea pig should catch up again, provided it is well in itself and is eating. Start additionally offering syringe feed and water. Contact your vet if your guinea pigs continues to lose weight and/or is looking off.

If a guinea pig is losing ca. 100g within 24 hours, it has not eaten or drunk at all in this time and needs to see a vet asap as an emergency at all hours of the day, as it is in acute danger of going into gut stasis and dying. Start syringe feeding and water asap. Be careful only to feed as much as a guinea pig can swallow (which is likely only 0.1-0.3 ml at once) and give little but often round the clock.

Our syringe feeding guide has got tips for all situations (including what you can do in an emergency) and also how to feed safely. Caring for an ill Guinea Pig

All antibiotics are appetite dampeners to a certain degree as they often affect the gut bacteria as well, especially baytril. If that is the case, you can help to bolster the guts with some probiotic or poo soup (information in the syringe feeding guide).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back