Loss and reflection

Jon880

Junior Guinea Pig
Joined
Jul 1, 2024
Messages
31
Reaction score
45
Points
175
Location
Swansea
I had to put our little Apricot to sleep earlier today - I'd posted on the forum asking for advice about her various illnesses numerous times. It seems strange to think I won't be administering the usual three doses of medicine this evening. You get used to the routines.

Apricot's loss comes hard on the heels of the sudden passing of her herdmate Artemis in July, who died at the vets 24 hours after becoming ill. Death can get you slow or it can get you fast, but either way it will get you.

Anyway, in a reflective mood I started thinking of Lord Byron's beautiful tribute to his dog. I guess we'd have to tweak his lines to be guinea pig appropriate, but it's still a wonderful and moving tribute which shows the love we can feel for our animals.

Near this Spot
are deposited the Remains of one
who possessed Beauty without Vanity,
Strength without Insolence,
Courage without Ferosity,
and all the virtues of Man without his Vices.
This praise, which would be unmeaning Flattery
if inscribed over human Ashes,
is but a just tribute to the Memory of
Boatswain, a Dog

Epitaph to a Dog - Wikipedia
 
That is a beautiful tribute, thank you for posting. With our pets we can be who we are, they are wonderful. Yes, it is very hard to give up the routines that sustained a life, our caring role. I hope things go OK for you and wish you comfort and strength ❤️🙏
 
BIG HUGS

What a special and thoughtful tribute!

I am so very sorry for your losses in quick succession. We can give our piggies the best of lives but we can never choose when, what from and under which circumstances the end comes.

It is always worse when a new loss brings up all the other not yet fully digested grief from a previous loss and you feel rather overwhelmed with the sheer hurt of it.

Be kind with yourself and keep reminding yourself that you have given your piggies the happy life in a loving and caring homes that they are looking for and that you have not failed them in any way. There are sadly no shortcuts for the grieving journey you are on.

Because of your love you are left with lots of precious memories which will stay with you forever in your heart once you can access them without the pain of your acute loss.
 
Back
Top