• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Loss fur and wounds

Status
Not open for further replies.

That looks like the start of fungal, likely ringworm to me; but please be aware that you need a hands-on vet examination as we can only guess.
Be aware that ringworm is highly contagious not just to other guinea pigs but also humans. Make sure that you follow the hygiene tips in our guide to the letter in order to get on top of it and prevent it from returning. There are no shortcuts; the invisibly tiny spores are shed in their thousands, get everywhere and can stay live for up to 2 years to cause another outbreak. :(
Please take the time to read this guide here. It also contains pictures of how a ringworm outbreak typically runs: Ringworm: Hygiene And Pictures

Personally, I would just leave the wound be as it is already scabbed over anyway and see a vet as soon as possible. Saline works on open wounds. It is diluted salt and doesn't sting badly, but it is to be applied to open wounds.

Should I mix 1 teaspoon of flat init bolides, cooled water as someone said that but my guineapig wound looks sore so do you think it will do the trick?
And my other guineapig normally stands on her with her claws do that’s possible reason she has gotten a wound

I have merged your three threads. I also deleted one this morning as it was a duplicate of what you had already posted. The forum rules state to keep all posts about one condition to one thread as it helps you to have all the information in one place and it also helps other members see all the advice you have been given.

As stated numerous times above, you should not be home treating without knowing what you are dealing with. You do need to see a vet asap in order to get on top of this and solve the issue and it is unlikely that it will just magically disappear on its own.

If it is indeed ringworm that this is a highly contagious condition which can be passed to humans. By not seeing a vet to deal with the issue you are not only putting your piggies health at risk but also every human in the household and potentially every human they come into contact with as well.

I have merged your three threads. I also deleted one this morning as it was a duplicate of what you had already posted. The forum rules state to keep all posts about one condition to one thread as it helps you to have all the information in one place and it also helps other members see all the advice you have been given.

As stated numerous times above, you should not be home treating without knowing what you are dealing with. You do need to see a vet asap in order to get on top of this and solve the issue and it is unlikely that it will just magically disappear on its own.

If it is indeed ringworm that this is a highly contagious condition which can be passed to humans. By not seeing a vet to deal with the issue you are not only putting your piggies health at risk but also every human in the household and potentially every human they come into contact with as well.

I hope it isn’t ringworman or anything serious😭 we will definitely take it to the vets if it doesn’t be look any better or gets worse as it seems a bit worse today

Take your pig to the vet ASAP. With the wounds and the foot these need to be looked at. The cut could easily be infected, the foot causing pain. You have a duty of care for your guinea pig and this includes taking them to the vet when they are sick. These can’t be treated safely at home and your just going to end up with a worse situation. Your pig should be getting regular cage cleans (spot clean every day and full clean every week) unless you use fleece which should be cleaned everyday. It should be getting vitamin C in its food or drink.

You said you think cage cleaning or vitamin c is the reason for it’s foot. If you know you are not doing/giving it enough you need to do something about it. It’s easy to wait and try to treat things at home but we can’t promise your pet will make a full recovery like that. You are not trained and cannot carry out treatment. If you can’t clean or care for them properly, you are going to have to give them away.

Good luck with him

I hope it isn’t ringworman or anything serious😭 we will definitely take it to the vets if it doesn’t be look any better or gets worse as it seems a bit worse today

I know I sound harsh but I don’t know how many times you need to be told that you need to take the piggies to see a qualified vet. Is there a reason that you cannot or will not take them to see a vet?

Again I reiterate what has been said in this thread and the other thread. You need to take the piggies to a vet. Is there a reason why you cannot or will not do so?

I know I sound harsh but I don’t know how many times you need to be told that you need to take the piggies to see a qualified vet. Is there a reason that you cannot or will not take them to see a vet?
My parents said I should wait a few days but I have just weighed her she was 931 now she’s 910:(

She weighed 931 now she’s 910 and she’s has a wound and loss fur near her ear and red feet;(

The daily weight swing is 30-40g, which is the difference between a full and an empty belly. We talk about weight loss only from 50g/2 oz.

See a vet as soon as your parents let you; hopefully on Monday.

Have your piggies open foot sores (which is what bumblefoot/foot infection) is or just red foot pads?

Hi @maisiesguineapigs this is your seperate 3rd post on pretty much the same subject, and however you phrase it, the answer will always be to take your guinea pigs to the vet. They are clearly not well and need their wounds, fur loss, and foot problems, need correctly diagnosing and treating by an expert, with proper diagnostic tests for mites and for ringworm, and proper prescription strength treatments for the underlying problems and to prevent further infection setting in.
Sorry we have no magic home remedies to suggest but honestly such things don't really exist, your piggies need a vet check and appropriate expert treatment.
Please keep us updated, there is a vet locator list of forum approved vets somewhere which you can find at the top of the health and illness section.
Hope your piggies can get proper treatment soon to help them get well!
Thank you I have been very upset and stressed about it all

The daily weight swing is 30-40g, which is the difference between a full and an empty belly. We talk about weight loss only from 50g/2 oz.

See a vet as soon as your parents let you; hopefully on Monday.

Have your piggies open foot sores (which is what bumblefoot/foot infection) is or just red foot pads?

It’s just red and looks sorry so we have put their cage on grass and we are keeping their cage more clean

Take your pig to the vet ASAP. With the wounds and the foot these need to be looked at. The cut could easily be infected, the foot causing pain. You have a duty of care for your guinea pig and this includes taking them to the vet when they are sick. These can’t be treated safely at home and your just going to end up with a worse situation. Your pig should be getting regular cage cleans (spot clean every day and full clean every week) unless you use fleece which should be cleaned everyday. It should be getting vitamin C in its food or drink.

You said you think cage cleaning or vitamin c is the reason for it’s foot. If you know you are not doing/giving it enough you need to do something about it. It’s easy to wait and try to treat things at home but we can’t promise your pet will make a full recovery like that. You are not trained and cannot carry out treatment. If you can’t clean or care for them properly, you are going to have to give them away.

Good luck with him

Thank you so much a and its a she

Again I reiterate what has been said in this thread and the other thread. You need to take the piggies to a vet. Is there a reason why you cannot or will not do so?

My sorbet should told me to wait a few days to one to idm it gets worse or anything happens

It’s just red and looks sorry so we have put their cage on grass and we are keeping their cage more clean

Just clean the cage regularly; it is not full blown bumblefoot yet.

Please read our diet guide carefully; a good hay based diet with a considered mix of veg that covers a wide range of nutrients (it is the quality and not the quantity that is key) and only few pellets can help to build up the immune system of your piggies. This in turn will then help them to fend off better things like sore feet and opportunistic problems like fungal skin infections and parasites.
You really can help your piggies become stronger in fending off illness better and in living longer with a good diet. it is not a quick fix, but it will make a difference in the long term. ;)
Long Term Balanced General And Special Needs Guinea Pig Diets (contains a picture of a veg sample diet)

In the coming heatwave, please make sure that you keep your piggies well out of the heat, as it can be a killer. Also make sure that you always put the run in different places so vermin is not attracted. Here are lots of tips on keeping your piggies (and yourself) comfortable and what are the sign of your piggies overheating.
Hot Weather Management, Heat Strokes and Fly Strike

My sorbet should told me to wait a few days to one to idm it gets worse or anything happens

I don't understand this post I'm sorry. I'm not up on all the current text lingo.

I know if you are under 18 you don't have a choice but to rely on your parents to book an appointment as vets won't do it for younger people. However there must be something you can do, could you offer to pay for the treatment?

I obviously can only mimick the above posts about seeing a vet as soon as possible to prevent your piggy worsening -perhaps bring up the point that the sooner the piggy is seen and treated the quicker they will recover and the less expensive the vet visit will be than if you wait and things progress. You could perhaps offer to do chores around the house of they do or of your old enough find a part time job to eventually pay them back. For things like fungal treatment, it shouldn't be overly expensive.

Cage cleaning is a must with piggies I'm afraid- I clean my two boys out once everyday and even then anyone visiting after a cage clean would likely question whether I do. What bedding do you use? How big is your cage? A bigger cage is going to lessen the risk of bumble foot and.stop any piggies from sitting in their urine/faeces. And certain types of bedding absorb urine better.

I don't understand this post I'm sorry. I'm not up on all the current text lingo.

I know if you are under 18 you don't have a choice but to rely on your parents to book an appointment as vets won't do it for younger people. However there must be something you can do, could you offer to pay for the treatment?
Yes I’m 16 and if it seems worse I will pay £10 for a check up

The vet let me book an appointment on my own as long as my parents came with me to the actual appointment. This may only have been because it was an emergency appointment however. (My piggie had an eye infection.) I went in, showed them a picture and they booked me an appointment.( My parents weren’t home and I had to book it on my own.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back