• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Lost Appetite

Kosson

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi everyone.

My piggy (Moru / sow / 3 yo 6months, 900g) has lost her appetite since Saturday night...
Prior to that, until Saturday evening, she showed her appetite with lots of enthusiasm.

Since then she mostly stays in her hideout. But she occasionally eats some timothy hay. She does not eat vegetables much, either. The poos are not as much as usual, but they look healthy poo. On the other hand she does not seem to pee a lot.
I give her a long massage session but her stomach does not seem to bloated,
In the morning I saw her limping so I syringe fed her some vitamin C, about 2ml.

She looks sleepy and tired... but otherwise her eyes shine and she moves her head when I cover her head too much with my hand (not deliberately, though) so it seems that she has some energy left.

Her breathing sounds normal, without any nose water running, sneezing, nor any signs of short breathing.
Actually Saturday night the temperature dropped quite a lot so at the beginning I thought (wished) the temperature change has got something to do... So again put the heater back, and indeed Sunday morning she sometimes shiverred - but now she no longer does.

I do know I should take her to the vet but it is a national holiday today so I have no choice rather than to wait tomorrow.

Last summer she lost her back hair and was diagnised that she had an ovarian cyst (hormonal) but the doctor said the operation would be too risky, because of the position of the syst. Operation itself would be possible but lots of piggies could not bear the pain afterwards... so he said and recommended not to do anything. Then I looked at some threads here and lots of them supported what the vet said.
At the same time the vet found something is getting cristalised to be a stone in her bladdar. But it was not quite formed then.

Since then Moru sometimes cried when she urinated, but since February or sometimes her hair is back and she cried less than less. I was very happy she looked healthy as before.
Then, this sudden loss of appetite and I am very very worried.

As I mentioned I have no choice than waiting tomorrow for visiting the vet...
And I desperately seek any advises what to do until then. At the moment, as she sometimes eats by herself, I avoid to syringe feed her but just encourage her to dring water, have some veg, and hay from time to time. When I give her cuddles she purrs.

Thank you in advance.

Note / I have another piggy (Zelie, saw, about 1yo) but I put Moru in a separate cage in order to see how much she eats / pees / poos. Right now it is time for siesta so I put Moru with Zelie, though (she looks happier to be with Zelie).

Siikibam

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
I wouldn’t separate her. For now switch to weighing her (once) daily at the same time. You will the need to adjust the amount you syringe feed accordingly. If she’s losing weight you need to get as much into her as possible - as much as she will accept at each time.

Hay is the most important part of their diet. Her eating veg will have no effect but not eating hay is what can cause weight loss. Stones are caused by a high amount of calcium in the diet. Hard water and pellets are the biggest contributors. So filtering water and limiting pellets to a tablespoon per pig per day is the way to go. Also not feeding high calcium veg too often - spinach, kale, parsley in particular.

It’s good you got her an appointment. Hopefully they will be able to find out what’s going on.

Not Eating, Weight Loss And The Importance Of Syringe Feeding Fibre
Complete Syringe Feeding Guide

Kosson

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I wouldn’t separate her. For now switch to weighing her (once) daily at the same time. You will the need to adjust the amount you syringe feed accordingly. If she’s losing weight you need to get as much into her as possible - as much as she will accept at each time.

Hay is the most important part of their diet. Her eating veg will have no effect but not eating hay is what can cause weight loss. Stones are caused by a high amount of calcium in the diet. Hard water and pellets are the biggest contributors. So filtering water and limiting pellets to a tablespoon per pig per day is the way to go. Also not feeding high calcium veg too often - spinach, kale, parsley in particular.

It’s good you got her an appointment. Hopefully they will be able to find out what’s going on.

Not Eating, Weight Loss And The Importance Of Syringe Feeding Fibre
Complete Syringe Feeding Guide
Thank you so much, Siikibam

Yes I am aware of the things about calcium intake. I always put soft water for their drinking bottle and I wash the veg with filtered water at the end - then dry them with a paper towel. Since long time ago I switched the pellets to the one the vet recommended - for low calcium diet. So it was sad to know about bladder stone. give them parsley so maybe it was one of the reasons...

Ok, I will let Moru stays in her cage with Zelie, as Moru looks more relaxed there. In addition Zelie is the sweetest girl even she understands Moru is a little weak now (normally Moru is the boss), Zelie does not take advantage and let Moru recovers as Moru wants. Zelie even did not touch some veg for Moru (normally Zelie eagaly finishes).

I will post about outcome of the vet visit tomorrow!

Siikibam

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
It’s good you’ve taken step already. Most pellets contain some kind of calcium hence limiting to one tablespoon. All the best for tomorrow and hopefully the stone won’t have formed.