• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Lots of yellow poops - I am completely stumped...

littleloaf

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi, guys. Hope we're all doing well. :D

This is a bit of a mystery to me. I've recently noticed lots of yellow poop. Perfect in shape and consistency, just very light.
I have two sows about 4 months old. They are eating plenty of hay all the time and receive one small portion of veg in the evening. They also have about a tablespoon of pellets between them.

I have been doing my best to look up the answer myself. They receive the regular amount of vegetables and the vegetables I give them are ones they are used to. Is it true that certain vegetables will affect the colour of their poop? I only thing I can think of is that they have been getting a lot of yellow bell pepper recently.

The other thing is that there does seem to be a small amount of dark poops during the day, but then right when I think it's back to normal, I'll find more yellow poops! I just can't add up what's going on.

Thanks, guys!

117023099_941802552962091_3537199661010979604_n.jpg

Posed them next to a more normal poop for comparison.

Yes, food can alter the colour, beetroot produces a lovely purple colour. It could be the peppers if they have been eating a lot. If they are eating, pooping and peeing normally (other than the colour) and acting happy and bright I would cut out the peppers and see what happens. Of course if you are at all worried about them, see a vet.

Veg can sometimes influence pee and poop colour - beetroot for instance results in distinctly purple poos and pink pees. Peppers and carrots and sometimes even lettuce can also result in discolorations.

Try to not feed yellow peppers for a day and see whether the lighter poos disappear. One small slice of pepper per day is enough.
Compare the size with our sample diet picture. Long Term Balanced General And Special Needs Guinea Pig Diets

Please keep in mind that your piggies are getting vitamin C in their hay and fresh grass (this is the main reason why they never had the need to make their own in the first place and which should make the bulk of their daily food intake), via their once tablespoon of pellets and then again via fresh herbs and other greens in their diet, not just peppers.

If your piggies are making funny but still firm poos, then take them off any fresh food for 24 hours and see whether things normalise or improve very snoticeably. If the poos are runny, your piggy is looking poorly or the poos don't normalise/milder problems persist, then please see a vet promptly. Digestive Disorders: Diarrhea - Bloat - GI Stasis (No Gut Movement) And Not Eating

Back