• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Lottie bonding with the herd.. failed :(

Hannah_xx

Forum Buddy
Reaction score
Australia, Victoria. (originally from Essex, UK)
I’m so gutted. I introduced Lottie with the rest of the herd today. I put her and Mary together first as Mary is usually always the one that takes offence to a newbie. But they got along fine! I was SO pleased as she was the only one I was worried about. Next I added in Olive, As she’s at the bottom of the pecking order.. Well Olive decided straight away that she HATES Lottie and feels super threatened by her (They are the same size after all!). I ended up putting Opal and Patrick in too, No issues with them, Patrick wouldn’t leave her alone trying to hump her but that’s ok. But Olive just kept chasing Lottie, she had her hackles up, mouth wide open and teeth chattering. I tried for a good 45 mins but Olive just wasn’t calming down and she even started testing her dominance with the others. In the end Opal and Olive almost had a proper brawl! Enough was enough I couldn’t risk my bonded 4 falling out.
I’m gutted, I really thought they’d accept a youngster. Didn’t expect Olive to cause the problem :soz:
I either take Lottie back to the shop ,like I said I would to my partner if they didn’t get along..Or I persuade him to let me find Lottie a friend to up pair in a separate cage (which would take up lots of room!).
I really love Lottie already.. I had a good feeling it would work out and it hasn’t. I can’t possibly send her back to the petshop where she would most likely be bought by clueless people and she’ll rot away lonely and forgotten in a hutch 😭

Here is a video of her and Mary getting along:

And a video of the first minute with Olive, as you can see it started off on the wrong foot.
I didn’t video anymore after it got worse.

Mary and Lottie sharing food.

CF5DC5C2-BC3C-4EAB-8C27-2B2C4B5D4D57.jpeg
3949D2F2-ABB7-45EF-B7A1-4DA78EF56102.jpeg

Lottie stole Olives mouthful which did NOT go down well..
669E8F52-CB19-4924-B822-9E1340F200C3.jpeg677BBF69-E64C-4BE2-8335-D56B2E6E7BDC.jpegE6C0FE96-88F3-4002-B49F-3CBABCAF449C.jpeg

Photos make it look like they were getting along but they really were not.
ABAD3D05-054D-419D-9679-BA23529B4A30.jpeg

And Lottie looking worried56A7F8D1-ECB5-456D-AF82-C6E5BDDD2D04.jpeg

And here she is in her freshly cleaned and extended cage..
0D8A7101-9B66-4A2E-9498-917357794D31.jpeg

☹️ I’m sorry it didn’t work out. Would you be willing to perhaps move Mary in with Lottie?

☹ I’m sorry it didn’t work out. Would you be willing to perhaps move Mary in with Lottie?

Mary is so happy in with her herd, she’s top Mare and is Wifey to Patrick.. would hate to separate them :(
I shouldn’t have got another pig knowing how settled they all are. But my heart got the better of me when I saw Lottie. I just love them all so much 😭

So sorry that they didn't get on! It's so tough when you just want them all to get on and they have other ideas :( Fingers crossed you can get your other half on board with keeping her and and a friend, she's such a cutie.

Could you try Opal with Lottie?

I would feel terrible splitting Opal up from everyone that she’s always know. Opal and Olive are ‘siblings’ and have a love hate relationship with each other, but they work well togther! And Opal is great friends with Mary and Patrick. Those 3 always have secret tea (sleep) party’s upstairs!.. while poor little Olive is never invited.

I'm sure I can flutter my eyelashes at Jon to let me have just ONE more pig.. Afterall I’ve got a hospital procedure tomorrow and will need a present afterwards for being so brave RIGHT?!:cool:

Ahhh get Lottie a friend! One more won't make any difference! 😆😆😆

such a shame it didn’t work out. Why do I get the feeling that another piggy might be on the way 🥴

I am so sorry your bonding didn't work out. You definitely need another piggy, just the thing after a hospital appointment. What about Lottie's sister who was with her in the shop. :D

Oh dear, the best laid plans...! We had this issue with Tallulah, she was a tiny skinny pig baby desperate for company... and it ended in bloodshed! I think this is the point where you sit her looking ever so cute on your OH's lap then tell him she needs to go back... basic psychology says he will argue against that and she'll have her own C&C and husboar by the end of the week like Tallulah does :) paws crossed she can stay! X

I’m so gutted. I introduced Lottie with the rest of the herd today. I put her and Mary together first as Mary is usually always the one that takes offence to a newbie. But they got along fine! I was SO pleased as she was the only one I was worried about. Next I added in Olive, As she’s at the bottom of the pecking order.. Well Olive decided straight away that she HATES Lottie and feels super threatened by her (They are the same size after all!). I ended up putting Opal and Patrick in too, No issues with them, Patrick wouldn’t leave her alone trying to hump her but that’s ok. But Olive just kept chasing Lottie, she had her hackles up, mouth wide open and teeth chattering. I tried for a good 45 mins but Olive just wasn’t calming down and she even started testing her dominance with the others. In the end Opal and Olive almost had a proper brawl! Enough was enough I couldn’t risk my bonded 4 falling out.
I’m gutted, I really thought they’d accept a youngster. Didn’t expect Olive to cause the problem :soz:
I either take Lottie back to the shop ,like I said I would to my partner if they didn’t get along..Or I persuade him to let me find Lottie a friend to up pair in a separate cage (which would take up lots of room!).
I really love Lottie already.. I had a good feeling it would work out and it hasn’t. I can’t possibly send her back to the petshop where she would most likely be bought by clueless people and she’ll rot away lonely and forgotten in a hutch 😭

Here is a video of her and Mary getting along:

And a video of the first minute with Olive, as you can see it started off on the wrong foot.
I didn’t video anymore after it got worse.

Mary and Lottie sharing food.

View attachment 150192
View attachment 150193

Lottie stole Olives mouthful which did NOT go down well..
View attachment 150194View attachment 150195View attachment 150196

Photos make it look like they were getting along but they really were not.
View attachment 150197

And Lottie looking worriedView attachment 150198

And here she is in her freshly cleaned and extended cage..
View attachment 150199
Such as shame! I hope you can keep her. What about pairing her with Mary?

You definitely need another piggy to lift your spirits after your procedure. I really hope she can stay on with you. They worm their way into our hearts pretty quick don’t they!

Oh no :(! Getting another pig sounds like a good idea.
It’s certainly a tricky situation, hopefully you’ll find a solution.💕

I’m so sorry it didn’t work with her joining the herd. A new pair it is me thinks! :D x

So sorry little Lottie's bonding didn't go to plan. I hope you get something sorted as she is lovely. But you are right not to upset your current herd arrangements.

So sorry that this didn't work out. Sows can be unpredictable, for sure.

Back