• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Loud rattle when breathing

Marvel_piggie_squad

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
So as if my piggies aren’t having a hard enough time this summer, I had to get Thor and Loki to the vet this evening.

feel like I’m really doing something wrong lately! :(

yesterday Loki developer really loud breathing and a rattling noise. This is only a few weeks after Rocket started to recover from a respiratory infection. The vet said it’s likely that it must be the same bacteria that has now infected Loki (despite my very best efforts to prevent the spread). So she’s given him the same antibiotic Rocket had. The symptoms are strange though, Rocket had nasal discharge, sneezing and a slight clicking when breathing. Whereas Loki has no nasal discharge, no sneezing, but a loud (almost roaring sound) when breathing.

I am really panicking. I thought with a URI he would have some nasal discharge or something? What really scared me is when the vet listened to his chest and said he’s really rattling, particularly on the left. :( :( :(

I thought they may have treated Thor with them being housed together, but she said his chest sounds clear so to just keep an eye on him for now.

has anyone experienced similar?

Marvel_piggie_squad

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I’m also hoping it is the right antibiotic! As the vet is assuming it must be the same infection, but Loki’s symptoms are different

Siikibam

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
It may be a URI so see how he is with the medicine. I don’t know if sneezing and nasal discharge always accompany a URI though. Hope he’s better soon.

ps you’re not doing anything wrong.

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
So as if my piggies aren’t having a hard enough time this summer, I had to get Thor and Loki to the vet this evening.

feel like I’m really doing something wrong lately! :(

yesterday Loki developer really loud breathing and a rattling noise. This is only a few weeks after Rocket started to recover from a respiratory infection. The vet said it’s likely that it must be the same bacteria that has now infected Loki (despite my very best efforts to prevent the spread). So she’s given him the same antibiotic Rocket had. The symptoms are strange though, Rocket had nasal discharge, sneezing and a slight clicking when breathing. Whereas Loki has no nasal discharge, no sneezing, but a loud (almost roaring sound) when breathing.

I am really panicking. I thought with a URI he would have some nasal discharge or something? What really scared me is when the vet listened to his chest and said he’s really rattling, particularly on the left. :( :( :(

I thought they may have treated Thor with them being housed together, but she said his chest sounds clear so to just keep an eye on him for now.

has anyone experienced similar?
Hi!

It can be the same or a different thing but good that you have had him seen promptly; it is a good sign that his lungs are clear so no worrt over pneumonia. Please do not feel guilty for what is not your fault. Healthy companion piggies can usually fend off the bacteria without needing medication but if they are still around (or exposure has happened in the place where they came from), then a major dip in the immune system for whatever reason (like a sudden heat spike or wave) can mean that they are no longer suppressed.

Nasal discharge is actually not a common symptom for URI. Most people think it should be because of human colds but respiratory
infections are bacterial and not viral so they present differently. Anyway, treatment for respiratory infections in guinea pigs is via antibiotics.
New piggy problems: URI - ringworm - skin parasites

Please switch from weighing once weekly to weighing daily at the same so you can step in with feeding and watering support of necessary and in case your boy is taking an unexpected sudden turn for the worse or if he losing his appetite. The need to breathe comes before the need to eat and drink. Guinea pigs are not great mouth breathers. Add to that a dampening or loss of appetite in case the antibiotic also impacts on the gut microbiome (which can sometimes happen) then a piggy with a respiratory problem is dealing with a double whammy and needs a helping hand in the form of support feed through the rough spot. This guide link here contains all the necessary information for this case (and any emergency so a useful resource for bookmarking).
Emergency, Crisis and Bridging Care until a Vet Appointment

Hot Weather Management, Heat Strokes and Fly Strike

Hopefully your boy will make a good recovery.

PigglePuggle

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
This sounds like a similar situation to the URI my piggy Blodwen had recently, no nasal discharge or sneezing just an awful grunty rattling breathing! She was fine after 10 days of antibiotics, but one of her friends did start to show a mild grunty sound too so was also given antibiotics as a precaution. The other 4 piggies in the same cage were fine and werent given any treatment.

Great advice and guides from Wiebke above, hope your piggy is ok x