• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Low Calcium Diet

Status
Not open for further replies.

RabbitFan

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Michael, a 6 year old rescue piggy, had a large bladder stone removed on 18th Oct. Less than 6 weeks later and he's due to have another one removed tomorrow!
Has anyone any suggestions to the kind of diet I can give him to prevent this happening again .... so soon.
I'm doing my own research but if anyone has some tips that have worked for their pig, I'd love to try them.

He's fed fresh meadow hay, Waggs Optimum guinea pig nuggets, a selection of veggies including carrots, parsnips, peppers,cabbage etc. and Graze On dried grass.

I wouldn't give him graze on it's VERY high in Calcium, are you in a hard or soft water area? Maybe filter his water. I'd strongly encourage increasing his fluids if possible my P was a dream initially for 6 months he loved Pearl Barley but of course they do get fed up.

We're not in a hard water area but it wont hurt to filter it. He does drink plenty. Will try Pearl Barley, I'd forgotten about that. mallethead Graze On can go! Shame cuz piggies love it. Will check out the veggie calcium content. Thanks for your replies. Anymore suggestions welcome. :)

We usually get our veggies/salad etc from Lidl, sometimes Aldi, and they often display the calcium or vitamin contents on the packets (i am sure supermarkets probably do too) but i usually go by that, and only get "good source of calcium" things like spinach as an occasional treat for them. You could try bottled water too.

xx

We usually get our veggies/salad etc from Lidl, sometimes Aldi, and they often display the calcium or vitamin contents on the packets (i am sure supermarkets probably do too) but i usually go by that, and only get "good source of calcium" things like spinach as an occasional treat for them. You could try bottled water too.

xx

You have to becareful with some bottled water as some have added calcium.

The little man's back home minus a bladder stone attached to a piece of the stitching from his last op! It seems the calcium crystals had attached themselves to the suture inside his bladder. Lets hope with a low calcium diet and no suture to attach to he'll not have the same problem. (fingers crossed)
I shop in Aldi, I'll take a look when I next shop.

Hi, my piggy has been put on a low calcium diet after bladder sludge removal. My vet is cavvy savvy and recommended by lots of members on here (but not everyone agrees with what he tells me so obviously feel free to make up your own mind!). He has told us: no nuggets, no root vegetables, no fruit at all (though they can have a little bit of bell pepper every now and then as a special treat), no cabbage, broccolli or spinach. We now feed them only good quality hay, readigrass (contrary to lots of people on here, he has no issue with the calcium level in it and feels actually it is good for guinea pigs - we give them a pinch each several times a day) and a variety of lettuce. As I said, lots of people disagree with this diet for all sorts of reasons but there you go! Hope your piggy is OK soon xx

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back