• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Low calcium veg and water?

*Meg*

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I lost my old sow Maisie a few weeks ago due to bladder stones or a tumour.. I’m now looking into a low calcium diet for the rest of my piggies.
They get cucumber every day.. collard greens then
I rotate
Broccoli twice a week
Celery twice a week
Swede twice a week
Beanspouts 3 times a week
Carrots 3times a week
Peppers I try and give every day or 3 times a week.

Dose this sound okay ? Low ish calcium?

Is it worth looking into a water filter jug? We live in a hard water area with lots of limescale .

To be honest when we went through this with Ruby I started using a Brita jug, and I really think this has made a huge difference to all of the piggies.
We also use a grain free pellet to try and reduce bladder irritation.
As far as diet goes there is a good list here for bladder piggies:
Diet Guides

When I lived in the North East of England my pigs always got tap water and they were fine.

When I moved to the Midlands it all changed. I struggled with a Brita jug so opted for low calcium water in bottles and I think that really helped.

When I lived in the North East of England my pigs always got tap water and they were fine.

When I moved to the Midlands it all changed. I struggled with a Brita jug so opted for low calcium water in bottles and I think that really helped.
Jaycey would you be able to advise on low calcium water? Ta.

To be honest when we went through this with Ruby I started using a Brita jug, and I really think this has made a huge difference to all of the piggies.
We also use a grain free pellet to try and reduce bladder irritation.
As far as diet goes there is a good list here for bladder piggies:
Diet Guides
I do the same, try cutting the carrot out and just give one tablespoon of nuggets per pig ( yea grain free👍)

I use a Brita Water filter for myself and my piggies. When Betsy had an x-ray for an unrelated issue there was no sludge or stones and she is 3 now so it must be working.

Jaycey would you be able to advise on low calcium water? Ta.

At first I used to order Deesside water from them directly, but you can get it in Waitrose.

Then the shop own brand waters seemed to be lowering their calcium levels. I now use Morrisons Yorkshire Vale water.

4mg of calcium is the perfect number but anything below 10mg is fine.

Brita filtering my tap water only gets it down to around 50mg which I wasn't happy with.

At first I used to order Deesside water from them directly, but you can get it in Waitrose.

Then the shop own brand waters seemed to be lowering their calcium levels. I now use Morrisons Yorkshire Vale water.

Brita filtering my tap water only gets it down to around 50mg which I wasn't happy with.
How do you test it? I first started filtering water for my drinking kettle, and the calcium crust never formed, that was good enough for me

Really helpful many thanks.

How do you test it? I first started filtering water for my drinking kettle, and the calcium crust never formed, that was good enough for me

I'll have a look to see if I still have original information! But I Googled the hardest levels of local water supply to find out the levels in our water.

I then contacted Brita to find out the % of calcium/hardness it removed. I can't remember the % but I think it may have been 75%. I'll post an update if I find the email Me find out that I was wrong.

I'll have a look to see if I still have original information! But I Googled the hardest levels of local water supply to find out the levels in our water.

I then contacted Brita to find out the % of calcium/hardness it removed. I can't remember the % but I think it may have been 75%. I'll post an update if I find the email Me find out that I was wrong.
I dont use brita, i use a wilko copy with wilko filters. Thanks👍

Back