• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

'Low gas' veg?

Status
Not open for further replies.

daisyd

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi,

I was wondering if anyone can recommend veg that are safer to give to a guinea pig with mild bloat?

My girl Winniepeg has had a swolen tummy since she spent a few hours on the lawn last weekend. She is totally fine in herself, eating, pooing and up to mischeif, but she is definately a bit gassy - I'm guessing that the grass was a bit rich for her (altho my other 8 pigs all seem ok). I've got buscopan but havent given any yet as she doesn't seem in any discomfort. I haven't given her any veg since the weekend, just an abundance of hay and her normal burgess excel pellets which have vit C added. Her sides have gone down a bit, but not 100% back to normal.

I know gassy veg include cabbage, broccolli, kale, spring grass (the culprit). But I don't really know what 'safe' veg would be. She's pretty mad with me for taking her out of the colony whenever the others have their greens!

Thanks
Daisy

I'd be offering loads of hay and her pellets :)
awwwww that dam spring grass........ it has cause us problems before too !
That is why i now only cut handfuls then i know that they haven't gorged on it..... rolleyes

LITTLE HUGS FOR WINNIEPEG XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

If a piggie has mild bloat I would remove all veggies and just feed nuggets and hay. I would also be weighing them daily for signs of any weight loss.

If the problem doesn;t resolve within 48 hours (and/or they continue to lose weight) I would then be approaching my vet to authorise gut stimulants (cisapride and zantac) as it means the bloat is indicative of a gut motility problem rather than just an abundance of veggies per se.

I would then also be working with my vets to determine why the gut has motility problems - normally this is because the piggie isn;t eating properly and that could be any number of reasons but dental, respiratory or urinary issues being the most common.

HTH
x

Thank you both very much for the advice. Thankfully Winnie still definately has a very healthy apetitte - unfortunately for her I think the no veg policy will just have to continue for a few more days, altho the colony will be happy with the continued extra hay rations all round!

Thanks again :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back