• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Lulu at the emergency vets :(

danuutka

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Please please keep Lulu in your thoughts.

Last night Lulu seemed a bit subdued, and had a bit of a weird stool, but seemed to be doing okay. This morning I woke, and Lulu wasn’t being vocal, she was sat fluffed up in the corner, and refused breakfast and hay. She also doesn’t seem to be pooping at all.

We immediately called the vet, who took her in for an emergency appointment around 2pm. They decided to observe her, and do an x-ray to see if they can find anything that could have caused this. We have just had the call that Lulu still isn’t eating or pooping, and that her belly seems a bit “dilated” - but no obvious blockage, or any twisting of the gut.

We had the option to either keep her in hospital, or take her home to syringe feed her throughout the night, and bring her in if anything was to go downhill. We chose the latter as we only live 15 minutes away from the vet hospital, and believe she might be more comfortable being in her own home.

She is being given an injection of subcutaneous fluids, and we are to syringe feed her with critical care around the clock. i will also be offering her veggies if she is willing to have anything. She is also getting more medication (Tralieve, Cisapride and Emeprid). I will be using a massage pad on her to try help her move the gas, and me and my boyfriend will be taking shifts throughout the night.

She’s having a bit of celery now, has had her subcutaneous fluids and we’re about to start with the critical care.

I am absolutely besides myself with worry, and just hope she can pull through. Any other tips on what we can do to make her feel comfortable?

I'm sorry I don't have any advice but sending you and Lulu all of the love and strength. Get well soon little piggie ❤️ x

I’m sorry to hear Lulu is unwell. Hopefully whatever it is you’ve discovered quickly. I have no clue so just offering my support. Keeping you all in my thoughts and hope she makes it through the night and the next few days.

Sending healing vibes to Lulu, and strength to you and your BF - caring for an ill piggy is draining and exhausting.
If she has suspected bloat I would stick to syringe feeds, pellets and hay, and skip the veggies for now.
Depending on the reason for the bloat, it is best to keep her diet as plain and simple as possible until her tummy settles back down.

Hang in there. You are doing a great job. It’s a lonely place doing round the clock support feeding but it’s worth it.

Hang in there. You are doing a great job. It’s a lonely place doing round the clock support feeding but it’s worth it.

Thankfully my partner is staying over to help - still no appetite for Lulu, she only nibbled in a tiny bit of lettuce, but we’ve gotten 68ml of critical care in her since 9pm!

Keep going hun, I know how scary it is when they won’t eat. Our ginger (pictured on right) had two abscesses surgically removed from her neck and wouldn’t eat anything after the surgery. I was constantly syringe feeding her and did poop soup too. I think the poop soup is what helped. I don’t know if it wouldn’t be suitable in your case. If you haven’t heard of it you mush up A fresh poop from a healthy pig with some water and syringe feed that to the sick pig and it helps replenish nutrients/gut balance (I think). Ginger didn’t eat for what seemed like forever. It was definitely days if not a week I was feeding her. I learned to be quite firm with her from watching the vet easily do a syringe at a time! I also mashed up a bit of banana or strawberry with water and gave her that to give her something tasty other than critical care. Eventually she nibbled a bit of cucumber and you wouldn’t think anything had happened to her now! Except she loves and eats so much poop. So much more than the others and I think that’s from giving her the poop soup 😂😂 the other thing that seemed to help is I put her on a fleecy blanket with the biggest foodie in the group, Oreo (pictured on left), and put some of their favourite spinach/lettuce/cucumber/basil/parsley like a mix of lots of things in between them. Oreo started stuffing her face as usual lol and Ginger eventually started sniffing and nibbling with her friend. Even though it was a little bit it was the start :) Sending lots of love! Xx

@danuutka . . and Lulu . . Its a battle at times . . You doing a great job and I wish you continue to do so. . . I and my 2 girls send you lots healing and vibes. . x

Back