• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Lump on back, surgery or not surgery?

Szilvi

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I have got two lovely Guinea pigs, Axl Rose and James Hetfield.
They are brothers and one year old.
Two months ago I have found a lump on Axl's back on his left side, it is not huge, size of two beans...(approx 😬).I took him to the vet and she suggested to wait and keep eye on it.It has grown and I took him today to the vet and she recommended a removal.

I'm just worried because I know that it could be a very risky operation because they are so small.
What do you think guys?
Thanks in advance!

What is the lump? Abscess, cyst etc? The risks of leaving something untreated could be greater than the surgery but knowing what the lump actually is is important
Any surgery carries risks but in a young healthy animal with an experienced vet, it is as safe as it is can be.

Thank you very much for your answer.Seems like it is a fatty node.But it is growing.I do agree with you and I think I'm going to book an appointment this week.

Hi everyone!

I have got two lovely Guinea pigs, Axl Rose and James Hetfield.
They are brothers and one year old.
Two months ago I have found a lump on Axl's back on his left side, it is not huge, size of two beans...(approx 😬).I took him to the vet and she suggested to wait and keep eye on it.It has grown and I took him today to the vet and she recommended a removal.

I'm just worried because I know that it could be a very risky operation because they are so small.
What do you think guys?
Thanks in advance!

Hi!

If a lump continues to grow, then it is best removed operatively while it is still nicely encapsuled and easy to remove before it blows up and you are facing a real mess and potentially an emergency operation anyway. Where the lump is located means that it is nowhere near any crucial organ and should be a very low risk op. ;)

At one year of age, your boys are pretty much fully grown and a very good age for operations. If it helps you, the two oldest sows I had to have operated were both lump removal ops; one for a burst and infected sebaceous cyst right next to the genitalia in a 6 year old sow and the other a large burst cyst under observation which put on a sudden growth spurt and blew while my operating vet was on summer holiday just one month short of her 7th birthday. Both sows did come well through their ops and made a full recovery to reach the upper end of the normal life span. I have had younger boars than yours neutered.

Here are our post-op care tips: Tips For Post-operative Care

All the best!

No advice but wanted to offer my support. All the best with the removal and his recovery. Of course we’d love to hear how he’s doing afterwards.

Just one small thing. Your county is enough to put as your location. ☺

The right vet is crucial. Make sure you check here and ask. People here are a wealth of information. My baby was operated on yesterday and she is 4 and a half years old. All went well. Best of luck to you!

No advice but wanted to offer my support. All the best with the removal and his recovery. Of course we’d love to hear how he’s doing afterwards.

Just one small thing. Your county is enough to put as your location. ☺

Thanks very much!Ah I haven't seen that 😄😄😄

The right vet is crucial. Make sure you check here and ask. People here are a wealth of information. My baby was operated on yesterday and she is 4 and a half years old. All went well. Best of luck to you!

Thanks very much!I'm very glad the operation went well 😊.

Hi!

If a lump continues to grow, then it is best removed operatively while it is still nicely encapsuled and easy to remove before it blows up and you are facing a real mess and potentially an emergency operation anyway. Where the lump is located means that it is nowhere near any crucial organ and should be a very low risk op. ;)

At one year of age, your boys are pretty much fully grown and a very good age for operations. If it helps you, the two oldest sows I had to have operated were both lump removal ops; one for a burst and infected sebaceous cyst right next to the genitalia in a 6 year old sow and the other a large burst cyst under observation which put on a sudden growth spurt and blew while my operating vet was on summer holiday just one month short of her 7th birthday. Both sows did come well through their ops and made a full recovery to reach the upper end of the normal life span. I have had younger boars than yours neutered.

Here are our post-op care tips: Tips For Post-operative Care

All the best!
Thank you!Your answer is super useful!Always good reading other people stories!I will keep you all updated!

Hi everyone!Just a quick update.So Axl had his surgery yesterday and turned out it was a cyst - so glad it has been removed - not a fatty lump (this is what the other vet said two months ago ....).

Anyways, he is fine, yesterday he did not eat much but today he seems happy and eating his hay etc.
He needs to take antibiotics for seven days, Baytril 0.46 ml and he has got painkiller too Metacam (for 5 days).
I need to take him back to the vet in about 10 days :-).

I just want to say thank for all your advice guys.It really did help me to make the right decision.It is never easy when it's about our little precious piggies.

Have a great weekend!

Attachments

• IMG_20200912_080536.jpg
    IMG_20200912_080536.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 5
I’m glad it all went well. Get well soon handsome 😘

Hi everyone!Just a quick update.So Axl had his surgery yesterday and turned out it was a cyst - so glad it has been removed - not a fatty lump (this is what the other vet said two months ago ....).

Anyways, he is fine, yesterday he did not eat much but today he seems happy and eating his hay etc.
He needs to take antibiotics for seven days, Baytril 0.46 ml and he has got painkiller too Metacam (for 5 days).
I need to take him back to the vet in about 10 days :-).

I just want to say thank for all your advice guys.It really did help me to make the right decision.It is never easy when it's about our little precious piggies.

Have a great weekend!

Glad that all has gone well! He should be soon as good as new and his hair will grow back within a month. At this young age, they heal super-fast!

PS: Please be aware that some piggies are more prone to lumps than others, so there is a likelihood that you may face more. Determining what a lump is can be much trickier than you think. Lumps can often be only fully examined and classed after their removal. Even a very experienced vet may not be sure what he is exactly dealing with. Getting a lump that is not staying nicelt put out in time may save you an emergency op and some real worries later on. ;)

Glad that all has gone well! He should be soon as good as new and his hair will grow back within a month. At this young age, they heal super-fast!

PS: Please be aware that some piggies are more prone to lumps than others, so there is a likelihood that you may face more. Determining what a lump is can be much trickier than you think. Lumps can often be only fully examined and classed after their removal. Even a very experienced vet may not be sure what he is exactly dealing with. Getting a lump that is not staying nicelt put out in time may save you an emergency op and some real worries later on. ;)
Thanks very much!So true!He is feeling very well and staples will be removed on Tuesday :-) So happy!

I'm glad he's feeling good! Wishing him a quick recovery! Linney got shaved for her lump removal too!

Back