• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Lump On Guinea Pig

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shikha

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
My female guinea pig dolma who is 15 months old just developed a lump today. I check them everyday it wasnt there yestreday. Its near her vagina just at the top. It looks like a bad pimple. She is behaving normal eating, playing, bossing around her sister. Popcorning and asking for food. I touched it and she didnt react so i guess it isnt hurting. She or her sister hasnt been spayed. Can i wait and take her to the vet day tommorow instead of today. Can anyone tell me what this is. Should i feed her probiotic.
Confused need help?
Does anyone know what this is?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 34
While not an emergency, your guinea pig will need to be examined by a veterinarian!

My concern would be an abscess, which will require draining, and antibiotics!

Azithromycin (Antibiotic) is generally recommended for treating abscesses in guinea pigs - I would also recommend pain relief!

It looks like an open infected wound that will need veterinary attention and antibiotics.
The abx should be given orally - and also a topical treatment may help.
The fact you are in Dubai (a hot country) may mean you need higher doses of (different) abx than normally recomended here in the UK

If however the wound is actually discovered to be a full-blown abcess, you may need to keep draining/flushing with sterile saline via syringe (keeping the scab removed) until the abcess heals from the inside out.

Just as important however is to find out why she has developed this on a particularly sensitive part of her anatomy. Either it was a bite wound or (more likely) it has been caused by sitting in her own wee (ie urine scald). If the latter - that would indicate there is an underlying uriniary tract issue (either infection or stones/sludge) that also needs to be addressed.

HTH
x

Thanks for the input everyone.
The wound isnt open there is no discharge.
I dont know how the wound developed as her house is cleaned daily and all.
Is this something very serious. I will be taking her to the vet tomorrow. Guinea pig recover from this easily?
There is no other symptom at all. She is just normal.

poor girl. I hope she feels better very soon and that you can get access to a good vet.

Your guinea pig will need to be examined by a veterinarian!

However, with the correct diagnosis, and treatment, your guinea pig should recover!

Please do not interfere with the wound - I would imagine that it is quite painful!

Thanks for the input everyone.
The wound isnt open there is no discharge.
I dont know how the wound developed as her house is cleaned daily and all.
Is this something very serious. I will be taking her to the vet tomorrow. Guinea pig recover from this easily?
There is no other symptom at all. She is just normal.

With prompt and appropriate vet treatment, there is no reason why it shouldn't heal well. You are a careful and observant piggy mommy and have caught it early. ;)

Just an update everyone. Doc says its neither an abscess or a cyst. Its a wound that got infected. He says she probably nipped the area while eating her poop or maybe while rubbing her butt to leave scent. And it got infected due to urine etc. he told me to put some soframycin on it after cleaning with saline water four times a day. Its already shrunk to half its size. Il post a pic later as she is sleeping. Does this seem fine. Is soframycin ok for them?

From what I can gather, soframycin is fine for pigs as long as it is applied to the skin and not licked off or eaten by the pig. It sounds like it's doing the trick anyway. You spotted it early, so I'm sure it will heal up with no problems.

I'm posting a pic i just took does it seem better. Please let me know.
And a BIG thank you to everyone for helping.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 25
Hi everyone thankyou for your responses, but i need your help again. While petting dolma on her neck( giving her a chin rub) i felt something like a little lump on her chest area. Its realy small like 2 cm and soft and moves. It caused her no discomfort when i touched it. She is eating normal everything else is normal its been there since a week. Her sister bunni also has it but les palpable as she is chubby. Both of them seem normal. That lump thing is not visible i can just feel it when i look for it. Is there any organ in this area that I'm able to palpate or is can be something else. Kindly help☺️☺️

Well that looks like its healing well and the area looks less swollen now which must be a relief for her as much as you. I was inclined to think that it wasn't a urine scald due to her white fur being very white. When my bumble had ovarian cysts which caused incontinence she was absolutely filthy yellow fur around her bum/vagina.

As for the lump it could be any number of things... how hard are you having to press to feel it and where abouts on the chest area... is it just below the chin, between the front legs or further down?

Lumps in guinea pigs are common and range from fairly harmless fatty lumps through to tumours and abscesses so again I would recommend getting a check over by a vet if you are at all concerned. It does seem odd that they both have the same lump though... is it in exactly the same place?

Its below her chin above her hand area. It can only be felt when she stretches her head for a chin rub. I have to look for it to find it. Its very soft thats why i was wondering if its a organ or lymph node etc. its around the same place in bunni also but I'm not able to feel it every time i check as she is chubby.
I have to palpate the area a lot to find it.

Its below her chin above her hand area. It can only be felt when she stretches her head for a chin rub. I have to look for it to find it. Its very soft thats why i was wondering if its a organ or lymph node etc. its around the same place in bunni also but I'm not able to feel it every time i check as she is chubby.
I have to palpate the area a lot to find it.

It sounds like it could be a lymph node; they are located near the armpit.

Thanks a lot . Maybe someone has some idea. Are lymph nodes palpable. Hoping its a lymph node.

The area where i am pointing with my middle finger is the area where i feel it. Hope this helps.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 14
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back