• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Lump on left side of jaw (2 & half year old sow)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
I just got back from honeymoon. Haven't seen my piggies for nearly three weeks (a friend was looking after them). And my 2 and a half year old sow Melton has a hard lump on the left side of her face/ jaw. It's bigger than a Malteser but smaller than a golf ball. She didn't seem to mind me feeling it. She seems her normal self otherwise... eating, good weight (nice and chunky). I have no idea how long it's taken to develop because I've been away. Really worried. Read about a similar issue on a thread on the forum and that ended in death. Vet appointment booked for 5:20pm today. :...

Poor thing hope it is nothing to serious. Not got any advice I'm afraid. Congratulations on your wedding though.

First off, congrats on your marriage! But sorry you are coming home to a sick piggie. The vet appt sounds like the best idea- they can take a look and go from there. Does she seem to be in pain while chewing? One of my pigs, Frenzy, had an abscess into the jawbone as a result of dental malocclusion. She was obviously uncomfortable while eating and would pull her ears back and pull her lips back while trying to chew. In her case it was a nasty abscess that went through her tooth roots and down into the bone. Some abscesses are much nearer to the surface and those are much more likely to clear up with treatment. I would make sure to ask the vet whether the abscess is at the surface or deeper in the jaw, and would ask the vet to check her teeth while he is examining her. I really hope the appt goes well, please keep us posted! Keeping Melton in my thoughts!

I took her to vet last night

The vet thinks it is an absess in the jaw. I dropped her off there again this morning. Surgery. Depends on what they find. Hopefully the infection is enclosed within a capsule and the whole thing can be removed.

Hope the op goes well lots of healing vibes being sent to her x x

She's survived the surgery

Got a call from the vet. Melton was waking up from surgery. It was an absess and it wasn't quite as simple as we'd hoped. It's too close to the jaw bone/ joint to remove all the infection so they've stitched the wound to hold it open and filled it with antibiotics. I'll pick her up after work and they'll show me how to do the antibiotics. :...:{:(:)

Good luck. Hope she'll be ok. Post an update how she's doing later.

Chocolate had a similar problem. I had to flush the wound and rub in cream and make sure the wounded doesn't begin to heal. It's painstaking, but Chocolate made a full recovery and is doing well with no reinfection.xx

BIG HUG

Sending lots of vibes to your girl!

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

((HUGS))- thinking of you and Melton and hoping she has a speedy recovery! Make sure to get a syringe for feeding just in case, because sometimes they won't eat on their own after surgery.

awww thats a shame. i'm going threw the same thing so if i can help i can. sam my boar is healing just now. hope it all goes well :)

Back from the vet

Thanks for the support guys. :)

Melton seems ok. Been happily munching on celery. That's got to be a good sign. I was a bit shocked when I saw the wound. Her face has been shaved and there's just this open hole. Horrifying. But the vet said it looked "good". I have 5 syringes of antibiotic ointment to put into the wound daily. And "Baytril" to give orally twice daily. Due back at vet on Tuesday. I've lined the cage with fleecey blanket on top of kitty litter and hay only in the hay rack so it's nice and clean for her walking around and nothing to bother the open wound. I'll change the blanket and boil wash daily. Any other tips?

Thanks for the support guys. :)

Melton seems ok. Been happily munching on celery. That's got to be a good sign. I was a bit shocked when I saw the wound. Her face has been shaved and there's just this open hole. Horrifying. But the vet said it looked "good". I have 5 syringes of antibiotic ointment to put into the wound daily. And "Baytril" to give orally twice daily. Due back at vet on Tuesday. I've lined the cage with fleecey blanket on top of kitty litter and hay only in the hay rack so it's nice and clean for her walking around and nothing to bother the open wound. I'll change the blanket and boil wash daily. Any other tips?

It's GREAT that she's eating... my pig Frenzy never went back to eating post-surgery. We were syringe feeding her until she just couldn't fight it anymore. Hopefully this is a good sign that it's not down into the bone and she will make a full recovery! The wound looks nasty when it's left open... but letting it drain is the best thing. Keeping fingers crossed that all continues to go well! Keep us posted!

Follow up at vet

I had the post op follow up appointment at the vet's on Tuesday. They're pleased with her progress. Using Manuka honey in the wound now. Still on oral antibiotics. Hasn't lost any more weight since surgery. Another follow up due next Tuesday. It's looking hopeful. :)

I am so glad that Melton is doing so great!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back