Kay701
Junior Guinea Pig
Hi everyone. My beautiful piggy Waffle has been very up and down over the last 6 months with various seemingly unrelated health problems. In the last week she's declined rapidly and a specialist has tentatively diagnosed her with lymphoma. She has swelled nodes/lumps all over her face and neck, she's losing weight rapidly despite syringe feeding. She was on long term pain relief anyway for sterile cystitis but has withdrawn herself from her sister and is showing signs of pain, spending most of the day hunched up in a corner. She is struggling to eat and losing weight rapidly despite syringe feeding, which she doesn't have much interest in anymore. However she is showing little bursts of energy where she will wheek at me, play around in her favourite places, eat a bit of hay and slowly munch her favourite vegetables. Right now she's rustling around in a paper bag 
I know this is the end of her life. The decision now is that she's going in to the vets today for testing to confirm lymphoma, which could take up to a week to process. The best case scenario is she gets a diagnosis, is given some palliative care, and experiences a few happy normal days or week before being put to sleep. That's what I want for her, I hate seeing her like this and I don't want her to go this way. However I don't know if she'll make it until the results come, and the syringe feeding is distressing her. But I don't want to make the call now and euthanise her if there's a chance of treatment and her ending feeling happier, and I think I'll regret it if we don't get her tested and see what the options really are. I don't want to put her to sleep now if there's a chance of it being under better circumstances for her. I just don't know how she'll cope for the next week.
Any advice or similar experiences are welcome. Also advice about the kindest way to euthanise her for both her and her sister when the time comes. (e.g. should I ask them to come down it at home, with an injection, and then show Honey the body?) I'm going between hysterical crying and feeling numb. She's only three. I love her so much.
Thank you in advance.
I know this is the end of her life. The decision now is that she's going in to the vets today for testing to confirm lymphoma, which could take up to a week to process. The best case scenario is she gets a diagnosis, is given some palliative care, and experiences a few happy normal days or week before being put to sleep. That's what I want for her, I hate seeing her like this and I don't want her to go this way. However I don't know if she'll make it until the results come, and the syringe feeding is distressing her. But I don't want to make the call now and euthanise her if there's a chance of treatment and her ending feeling happier, and I think I'll regret it if we don't get her tested and see what the options really are. I don't want to put her to sleep now if there's a chance of it being under better circumstances for her. I just don't know how she'll cope for the next week.
Any advice or similar experiences are welcome. Also advice about the kindest way to euthanise her for both her and her sister when the time comes. (e.g. should I ask them to come down it at home, with an injection, and then show Honey the body?) I'm going between hysterical crying and feeling numb. She's only three. I love her so much.
Thank you in advance.