• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Maisie - Weight Loss

Initially Sweetpea gained weight, rather slowly, but it was going on. Suddenly she lost again and the next day it was down even more. I took her back to Simon and we decided to up the dose to 0.15ml twice a day. However, she was found in her forever sleep a couple of days later.

Sweetpea was tested for hyperthyroidism and her T4 level was 68, which is on the high side. However, by giving Thyronorm, it could be that we sent her hypothyroid, so therefore weight gain was to be expected. Maybe the initial weight gain masked another issue that was going on, which eventually caught up with her. There seems to be so little known about hyperthyroidism in guinea pigs.

@Abi_nurse is probably the best person to advise you.

I’m sorry to hear that Sweetpea didn’t make it but thanks for your reply.

My vet did mention the possibility of a large weight gain if it wasn’t hyperthyroidism which makes sense. I’m just hoping that we have a solution. Her other issues I think we’ll just have to live with - this is by far the most crucial to sort.

Sadly hyperthyroidism is proving both difficult to diagnose and treat. I think this may be due to guinea pigs being very good at having other illnesses which can compound Thyroid levels in the blood and potentially hinder medical treatment. My only 100% success so far treating thyroid issues has been surgical removal or radioactive iodine. More research needs to be done, which I would love to, but sadly two things holding this back, one is lack of enough piggies to look at and two finances, certainly can't afford medical things to look into it.

Sorry for your loss.

Last edited:
Well today’s the first day of weighing her since I stopped syringe feeding her and I’m expecting a drop in weight. She didn’t seem her usual self yesterday and wasn’t munching her hay like normal... Roll on lunchtime when it’s weigh time.

My experience is with thyroid cancer causing weight loss. I have never had a piggy treated for hyperthyroidism.
Fingers crossed for her x

What a surprise. She’s has dropped in weight but only by 6g! I was expecting it to be much more than that. Maybe we’re on to something here.

I've got everything crossed for you and Maisie, I really hope she is on the up. X

How are you doing @Janey ? I know how stressful it is when piggies are losing weight and the cause seems to be unknown. I really have my fingers crossed for you and Maisie! :hug:

My Jon Snow has just started on his decline in weight again, sigh. He was doing great but he's back to his lowest weight. I've just sent off a poop sample for testing again and then we'll be off to the vets with him.

They do love to stress us out don't they?!

Sorry to hear Jon Snow is worrying you again. They certainly like to keep us on our toes. Hope the poop sample shows up a cause and you get get on and treat it.

We’re on day 4 of the Thyronorm and I’m cautiously hopeful. I was expecting her to have lost 20-30g to be honest, but 6g is a real bonus.

That's promising news! A decline is weight loss is brilliant news. I really hope it continues and she starts to gain a bit of weight back!

That's promising news! A decline is weight loss is brilliant news. I really hope it continues and she starts to gain a bit of weight back!

Thank you x

I am quietly confident that you have found the cause. I hope Maisie continues to improve.xx

I almost daren’t get my hopes up yet but hope you’re right and this is the problem. Might be able to try again with the breathing issues!

How are you doing @Janey ? I know how stressful it is when piggies are losing weight and the cause seems to be unknown. I really have my fingers crossed for you and Maisie! :hug:

My Jon Snow has just started on his decline in weight again, sigh. He was doing great but he's back to his lowest weight. I've just sent off a poop sample for testing again and then we'll be off to the vets with him.

They do love to stress us out don't they?!
I almost daren’t get my hopes up yet but hope you’re right and this is the problem. Might be able to try again with the breathing issues!
Hello all piggie slaves and Piggies. My herd including me poorly one send you loves and Squeeeeks. PIGGIES FIGHT

Not sure what's going on. After yesterday's wonderful weight gain of 16g, she lost 14g today. I'll see what her weight does tomorrow and will probably call the vet if it goes down again :(

Well of course it went down again, so I spoke with the vet who advised me to continue for another week as the results are inconclusive at this stage. Maisie is now 838g - this time last week she was 848, and whilst it's only 10g, it shows that the thyroid meds don't appear to be working at the moment, which also suggests it may not be hyperthyroidism ... I'm obviously no vet, but would have thought she wouldn't be dropping any weight at all if the diagnosis was correct and she's having the right meds. I don't know, I'm just feeling gutted again.

Back