• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Maisie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Janey

*Photo Competition Winner*
Reaction score
We've been to the vets today, as I noticed she'd dropped some weight in her weekly weigh in and she's just not looking herself or eating normally either. It turns out her gut movement has slowed right down and she's uncomfortable on her right side - quite a lot of poops backed up in there. I'd started her on metacam last night and another dose this morning, followed up with some syringe feeding, which she wasn't at all impressed with, but the vet gave her some emeprid, fluids and CC and she just stuck her head in the bowl and ate it - phew! So I've just ordered some, and will be starting the rounds of meds tonight. She was nibbling at some hay earlier, although difficult to say if she's pooped yet, as she's sharing her space with Alice. Might separate the cage tonight so I can see what she's doing better.

We've been to the vets today, as I noticed she'd dropped some weight in her weekly weigh in and she's just not looking herself or eating normally either. It turns out her gut movement has slowed right down and she's uncomfortable on her right side - quite a lot of poops backed up in there. I'd started her on metacam last night and another dose this morning, followed up with some syringe feeding, which she wasn't at all impressed with, but the vet gave her some emeprid, fluids and CC and she just stuck her head in the bowl and ate it - phew! So I've just ordered some, and will be starting the rounds of meds tonight. She was nibbling at some hay earlier, although difficult to say if she's pooped yet, as she's sharing her space with Alice. Might separate the cage tonight so I can see what she's doing better.

Poor you!
Here is our advice for how to deal with GI stasis; please keep her propped with additional syringe feed up for as long as she needs it. Thankfully you seem to be dealing with a mild version.
Bloat, Gi Stasis ( No Gut Movement) And Not Eating

Has anyone’s piggies had really soft poops whilst using critical care?

Has anyone’s piggies had really soft poops whilst using critical care?

Well I don't know if I've done the right thing, but stopped using the critical care as that's what's changed food wise for her and it's my hunch it's what's causing the soft poops. I don't know for sure cos I've never had to use CC before - hence the question. I've also cut out her veg until tomorrow.

How's her weight @Janey? Have you tried syringe feeding her pellets instead of CC?

It can be struggle deciding what to do as eating for themselves is obviously what we want but if they're not able to and/or losing weight we have to step in and top them up.

It's between 812g and 818g the last couple of mornings before feeding anything, so she's holding her own today. I did try her with mushed up pellets before the vet visit, but she wasn't too keen and preferred the taste of the CC. She is eating hay and the odd few pellets, just hope it's enough.

Did you do the right thing stopping the CC?
mine did the exact same thing with their poops whe
n they had it enjoyed CC but didnt really like pellets I noticed her poop has softened with the CC and will not be continuing it tomorrow and will try pellets again.

Did you do the right thing stopping the CC?
mine did the exact same thing with their poops whe
n they had it enjoyed CC but didnt really like pellets I noticed her poop has softened with the CC and will not be continuing it tomorrow and will try pellets again.
I’m sorry I can’t remember what happened now - this was about 18 months ago and I ended up having to help her over the rainbow bridge.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back