• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Major Dilemma

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mhairi

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I'm really hoping someone can give me some advice on what I should do. We bought our piggies from p@h at the end of November, and a couple of days after we brought them home, noticed that one of them, Pip, had a really gunky eye and was sneezing alot. So phoned up p@h and they arranged for Pip to be seen by their in store vet. Was given antibiotics and eye drops. Couple of days later the other one, Honey, developed a gunky eye so again spoke to p@h and had her checked out by the vet. She was only given eye drops.

Fast forward 5 weeks (last week) and noticed that Honey was sneezing again, and lying down breathing heavily. So took her back to the vet, an independent one this time. They have advised me that it's possible pastureollosis and that the two of them could have problems throughout the rest of their lives. Shes just finished one week of Baytril and we have to keep going for another week. The vet bills are already stacking up..... which leads me onto question 1: can I go back to p@h and ask them to pay for all past and future vet bills, as they've sold us sick piggies (unbeknown go us at the time)? The vet told us that because they have both been seen by a vet for chest issues, we won't be able to get any pet insurance for them.

And question 2: I'm on medication which suppresses my immune system. I asked the medical staff at my last appointment if it would be ok to get guinea pigs, and they said it should be fine as long as I'm careful with hand hygiene etc. But this was before I knew about the possible pasturellosis. Does anyone know how risky it is for me to be around guinea pigs who carry this bacteria? I really really want to keep them but may have to think about rehoming if the risk is too great for me.

Question3: I'm in the process of changing over from wood shavings to fleece. Ordered cage liners etc from ziggy's piggies last weekend. Can I wash these at 60 degrees to kill off any bacteria? Or will I wreck them? Not sure if a 40 degree wash will kill bacteria?

Really hoping to find a solution which let's us keep them. They're such an integral part of our family now and the kids would be devastated if we had to rehome them.

I'm very sorry your guinea pigs have infections.I'm not an expert on guinea pig illnesses despite having good knowledge of human illnesses,therefore i would wait for an illness advisor to answer your your 1st question.
Regarding fleeces i would wash at 60 degrees as this is the best way to ensure fungal and bacteria are eradicated at each wash.though this can shrink the fleeces intially,maybe if theres time ask ziggy piggies to make your liners slightly bigger.
I would maybe try going back to pets at home and explain to them the problems,see if PAH will foot the bill for any further related treatment.washing your hands with f10 gel will help to keep your hands free from bacteria/viruses/and fungal issues.you can by this on line such as vetuk.as for the risk to yourself i would talk to your General Practioner.if you follow good hygiene practise i would believe you will be ok.
cavies to be come part of the family very quickly,congratulations on your new members.:)

Q 1, l would be suprized if they would pay unless you got them to agree pria to you taking them to another vet , though it wouldent do any harm to try

It looks as if all you need to do is take a few precautions , nothing to drastic

I'm really hoping someone can give me some advice on what I should do. We bought our piggies from p@h at the end of November, and a couple of days after we brought them home, noticed that one of them, Pip, had a really gunky eye and was sneezing alot. So phoned up p@h and they arranged for Pip to be seen by their in store vet. Was given antibiotics and eye drops. Couple of days later the other one, Honey, developed a gunky eye so again spoke to p@h and had her checked out by the vet. She was only given eye drops.

Fast forward 5 weeks (last week) and noticed that Honey was sneezing again, and lying down breathing heavily. So took her back to the vet, an independent one this time. They have advised me that it's possible pastureollosis and that the two of them could have problems throughout the rest of their lives. Shes just finished one week of Baytril and we have to keep going for another week. The vet bills are already stacking up..... which leads me onto question 1: can I go back to p@h and ask them to pay for all past and future vet bills, as they've sold us sick piggies (unbeknown go us at the time)? The vet told us that because they have both been seen by a vet for chest issues, we won't be able to get any pet insurance for them.

And question 2: I'm on medication which suppresses my immune system. I asked the medical staff at my last appointment if it would be ok to get guinea pigs, and they said it should be fine as long as I'm careful with hand hygiene etc. But this was before I knew about the possible pasturellosis. Does anyone know how risky it is for me to be around guinea pigs who carry this bacteria? I really really want to keep them but may have to think about rehoming if the risk is too great for me.

Question3: I'm in the process of changing over from wood shavings to fleece. Ordered cage liners etc from ziggy's piggies last weekend. Can I wash these at 60 degrees to kill off any bacteria? Or will I wreck them? Not sure if a 40 degree wash will kill bacteria?

Really hoping to find a solution which let's us keep them. They're such an integral part of our family now and the kids would be devastated if we had to rehome them.

Hi! I am very sorry for the bad news. Good hygiene should hopefully take care of most of it, but you could help us to help you most efficiently if you please added your county to your details, so it appears under your username. That enables us to help you work out a solution on a local basis if or when necessary. Please click on your username at the top, then go to personal details and scroll down to location. Thank you!

Unfortunately, it is rather unlikely that p@h will pay after this time, but you can complain formally.

@Adelle @helen105281

Q 1, l would be suprized if they would pay unless you got them to agree pria to you taking them to another vet , though it wouldent do any harm to try

As a new guinea pig owner, at the time i just assumed it was a wee infection that would sort itself, and never thought I would have any further problems once she'd had the antibiotics, so never even thought to talk to p@h about taking her to a different vet. However now that I've had the girls for a while and I've done a lot more reading up on it, in hindsight I probably should've. Hindsight is a great thing.....

As a new guinea pig owner, at the time i just assumed it was a wee infection that would sort itself, and never thought I would have any further problems once she'd had the antibiotics, so never even thought to talk to p@h about taking her to a different vet. However now that I've had the girls for a while and I've done a lot more reading up on it, in hindsight I probably should've. Hindsight is a great thing.....

Thanks for adding your location. I am tagging @LisaAli into this thread. She is our Scottish mod.

It is always very upsetting when experiences like yours come at the cost of much unnecessary heartbreak.

Thanks for adding your location. I am tagging @LisaAli into this thread. She is our Scottish mod.

It is always very upsetting when experiences like yours come at the cost of much unnecessary heartbreak.

Would my first step be to ask for a test to find out if it is pastureollosis or not? Is there a specific test for it?

Would my first step be to ask for a test to find out if it is pastureollosis or not? Is there a specific test for it?

I would recommend a lab test as the first step, so you know where you stand. It is unfortunately not going to be cheap, but you can then make more informed decisions.

I don't have anything to add really as it is not something I know much about. I agree that lab tests are the way forward. Do you know what makes your vet think it is that though and not a normal respiratory infection?

I don't have anything to add really as it is not something I know much about. I agree that lab tests are the way forward. Do you know what makes your vet think it is that though and not a normal respiratory infection?

I'm really not sure to be honest with you.

It is a zoonotic disease so it can be passed onto humans :( I assume it can be confirmed by blood tests or maybe nasal swabs, I am seeing my vet tomorrow so I can ask her. Meanwhiile I would be extremely careful in handling them, do not put your face near them, thoroughly wash hands after handling & if possible house them in a room you do not frequent too much until a proper diagnosis can be made.

If your new vet can proove they were ill since you have had them p@h should by right pay but you will need to get the proof they have had it when u purchased them

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back