• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Making a hay tray

RedLoredAmazon

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hello everyone! I hope you all are having a great day. Has anyone made a hay tray out of fleece? I was thinking of trying this to keep the hay contained and to be able to wash the tray. I figure I could add some sides with openings to a potty pad. Does this sound completely terrible? Trying to use what I have at home without buying something new.

Have you thought about using a cat litter tray? Although in theory it sounds good to use fleece I imagine it would be a nightmare to clean!

I have used cat litter trays and plastic storage boxes for hay trays - with the plastic storage boxes i just cut a little doorway in one side and made sure there are no sharp bits. This works very well... Fleece would be a bit hard to keep clean and would need to be swopped every 2-3 days...

:agr: Wipe clean plastic would be easier to maintain.
Getting that quantity of hay that would stick to the fleece would make it hard work I think - clogging washing machine etc plus as above, the need to swap it for a different one every couple of days

Thank you all! I will have to look at the plastic bin idea whenever I get out to go to the store. I thought it might be an interesting idea to try the fleece since I put a large fleece potty pad under the hay rack and it's pretty easy to shake it out. If I do make the fleece hay tray, I will have to update this thread. I guess if it doesn't work out, it will make a nice hidey. 🙂

Back