• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Making a mezzanine

JackieGoodman

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi, I'd like to construct a mezzanine floor in my cage to add another climbing area for my 2 piggies.....could anyone advice me of what type of wood is safe to use when constructing anything for the piggies to paly in / on etc.....many thanks.

I’m not entirely sure but have a search you will probably find some answers on old threads.

Hey there, I did this in my old Ferplast 160. I used a wire shelf that you would find in a greenhouse, cable ties, plastic guttering (square type) and carpet.

Attached the wire to the cage sides at the desired height. Used cardboard as the flooring And then fleece but that part is up to you. I made up the cardboard came up the sides To prevent pee spraying up the walls, and ensuring the wire parts were sharp or within reach. Drilled holes in the guttering and attached to wire flooring with cable ties, double sided carpet tape to secure the flooring and making sure the ramp end of the guttering was tapered.
My pigs loved it. I probably would use better flooring if I was to do it again.

Hello!

Here is an article that details wood safety:
Safe / Unsafe Woods

Solid pine is always a good bet for these sorts of things. Steer clear of glued woods (plywood, chipwood, etc) as the glues are unsafe when consumed and very smelly.

Hey there, I did this in my old Ferplast 160. I used a wire shelf that you would find in a greenhouse, cable ties, plastic guttering (square type) and carpet.

Attached the wire to the cage sides at the desired height. Used cardboard as the flooring And then fleece but that part is up to you. I made up the cardboard came up the sides To prevent pee spraying up the walls, and ensuring the wire parts were sharp or within reach. Drilled holes in the guttering and attached to wire flooring with cable ties, double sided carpet tape to secure the flooring and making sure the ramp end of the guttering was tapered.
My pigs loved it. I probably would use better flooring if I was to do it again.
Great idea.....I'm going to get creative!

I've done this in my Little Friends 160 cage, they are designed for rabbits so have lots of head room! I overlapped 3 C&C grids and cable tied them together and to the cage. (2 grids are only 70cm and the cage is 80cm wide). I made a corex tray to sit on the grids like you use in C&C cages. I made a ramp out of 2 bent and overlapped C&C grids cable tied together. I cover the ramp with vet bed as it's thick enough without putting anything else underneath, this is held in place with small bull dog clips so it can be removed for washing.

Back