Making water bottle covers (For the piggies) Any experience?

Cosmic_Shadow

New Born Pup
Reaction score
I've been pondering making my own covers for water bottles. You know the ones meant to stop freezing/keep water cool, just wondered if anybody had any experience at all. Or had done so themselves. If so what were the results?

Would a layer of wadding and cloth do the trick, or does it have to be a particular material do you think? Any and all opinions are welcomed.

DonDon121405

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I’ve been watching some stuff on this and a big fleece sock seems to do the trick. Not done it myself though 😊

Piggies&buns

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
The rabbits’ bottles have proper insulated water bottle covers on them as I have never found anything else good enough to stop the freezing (rabbits are outside)

I put old socks on the piggies - as they are so easy and the hubby always has old socks kicking about -
my piggies are in my shed though which never gets cold so I don’t have a problem with them freezing anyway but I still feel the need to cover them. I’m not sure if it really does much and I don’t think I’d trust any thing home made on the outside bottles as I’m not sure you could replicate the designed covers. Perhaps some of the silver foil insulation might be better but I dont think wadding with cloth over would quite be enough to stop freezing?

Last edited:

Siikibam

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
Where do you get them from?

Piggies&buns

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score

Cosmic_Shadow

New Born Pup
Reaction score
I'm giving the sock trick a go! It's a thermal sock. So I'll see how that goes.
Thank you for the ideas and comments all. Very much appreciated. It'll be a nice experiment for sure.

eileen

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
i use the scratch and newton covers on my water bottles for outside piggies ,ive not experienced any frozen bottles even in freezing weather.

amy104

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Bubble wrap is a cheap option, or if you use silver loft insultaion on your hutches then you can keep the offcuts for bottles.