• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Male dominance question

Leon

New Born Pup
Reaction score
When a male guinea pig tries to show dominance does it include thrusting as well?.

We introduced a new cagemate and they seem to get along well.

In the neutral meeting place the older one basically mounted the new guy and thrusted a bout 6 times. I have also seen it a couple of other times. They never click their teeth at each other.

Yes humping is completely normal.
How long have they been together? Do be aware that the establishing of their relationship takes around two weeks so you will see a lot of dominance behaviour during this time, but really all throughout their lives.
How old are they both?

Did you ensure the new cagemate is definitely a boar?

Ensure their cage is big enough as boars need more room - a cage of 180cm x 60cm is necessary for two boars.

A Comprehensive Guide to Guinea Pig Boars
Dominance Behaviours In Guinea Pigs
Boars: Teenage, Bullying, Fighting, Fall-outs And What Next?
Bonding and Interaction: Illustrated social behaviours and bonding dynamics
Cage Size Guide
https://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk/threads/illustrated-sexing-guide-for-all-ages.156297/

Yes, there are two distinct testicles. They have been together about a month.
The baby is close to a pound and the older one is unknown. I got him from a friend.

The cage is 4.5 x 2.5 feet

Yes, there are two distinct testicles. They have been together about a month.
The baby is close to a pound and the older one is unknown. I got him from a friend.

The cage is 4.5 x 2.5 feet

Ok that’s good.
Two boars will always show dominance. 1lb is around 450g so it seems the piggy is still quite young but will be in his teens if testicles are visible.

I’m afraid the cage won’t be big enough - two boars need 6ft x 2ft to have enough territory. Lack of space can cause them to fall out.

Ok I can expand it some more

If your baby is only weighing 450g but has visible testicles, then that is quite a low weight - how old were you told the baby is?

I can't really see them but if I gently feel on each side I believe that's what I am feeling

Ok, so he is probably younger than I thought so in that case his weight is probably ok.

I looked at the guide, It looks like I will have to keep an eye on him when he's a teenager in case he decides to become the pack leader.

I looked at the guide, It looks like I will have to keep an eye on him when he's a teenager in case he decides to become the pack leader.

Yes absolutely. There is always a risk when you get a new piggy on spec that their relationship won’t last the long term, particularly when you’re dealing with teen boars, as they may not be character compatible.

I'm not sure what breed he is, he seems like he always has a bad hair day.

Attachments

• IMG_20200802_161440.jpg
    IMG_20200802_161440.jpg
    126.9 KB · Views: 8
I'm going to make a larger cage this weekend.
I've seen articles on getting them to go to the bathroom and one spot what's the secret to this?

I'm going to make a larger cage this weekend.
I've seen articles on getting them to go to the bathroom and one spot what's the secret to this?

That’s good. You will need to be careful when increasing their cage size as a change in cage size will constitute a change of territory and will in itself cause an increase in dominance. Ensure you put some of their soiled bedding into the new space so that it still smells of them. It can help with the transition.

Guinea pigs can’t be litter trained. However they do tend to pee where they eat their hay so you can put a tray under a hay rack for example, or put their hay in a tray and it will catch the pee. However, piggies pee and poop in their sleep so they can’t be truly litter trained. You will find pee and poop everywhere regardless

I picked up a new piece of coroplast so they have 7ft x 3 ft now. They seem to like it.

I'm going to take the old one and see if I can make an observation level or something with it

I picked up a new piece of coroplast so they have 7ft x 3 ft now. They seem to like it.

I'm going to take the old one and see if I can make an observation level or something with it

That’s a lovely size for them. They will appreciate it!

I put a divider in because I noticed a bite on the little guys rear. It looks mostly healed, not fresh. It must have happened when I was at work

Back