• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Male Guinea Pig Bonding Well?

brisme

New Born Pup
Reaction score
I have two male guinea pigs. One is an adult that I adopted from a pet store of unknown age. The second is a baby that I bought from the pet store and I estimate to be 4-6 months old (because they didn't know his age either). I am trying to find out if their bond is going well/normal.

They have been together in the same cage for about 3 months now. At the beginning the only issue they had was the baby would keep trying to get underneath the adult, or touch the adults feet and the adult would bop him on the head. Now, the baby seems trained not to do that by the older and they will eat next to each other and their faces will be close and if I put two of something in the cage they will go to the same one together instead of trying to get space.

The things I'm worried about are their dynamic. Sometimes the baby will make this quick "boop,boop,boop" noise when the adult comes near him. I have 3 hiding places and sometimes the baby will be somewhere the adult wants to go, the baby will make that noise and run away when the adult comes quickly to the area. Sometimes the adult approaches slowly and the baby just makes the sound incessantly and the adult may just rumble or sniff him and then leaves. Sometimes they will both be eating at the hay feeder and the older one will shoo away the younger one. When this happens it's normally because the younger one gets really close to the older's face or feet which the older one hates I think. All of this is done without teeth chattering or biting. The only thing is a lot of rumbling from the older.

So I'm worried the baby is feeling bullied by the adult? Like sometimes they seem to get along really well and other times it seems like the baby is being bullied. But they both get enough food. I would just like to know if anyone has experience with this older and younger boar dynamic and if it's normally for them to sort of do what I've described above. Thank you.

I have two male guinea pigs. One is an adult that I adopted from a pet store of unknown age. The second is a baby that I bought from the pet store and I estimate to be 4-6 months old (because they didn't know his age either). I am trying to find out if their bond is going well/normal.

They have been together in the same cage for about 3 months now. At the beginning the only issue they had was the baby would keep trying to get underneath the adult, or touch the adults feet and the adult would bop him on the head. Now, the baby seems trained not to do that by the older and they will eat next to each other and their faces will be close and if I put two of something in the cage they will go to the same one together instead of trying to get space.

The things I'm worried about are their dynamic. Sometimes the baby will make this quick "boop,boop,boop" noise when the adult comes near him. I have 3 hiding places and sometimes the baby will be somewhere the adult wants to go, the baby will make that noise and run away when the adult comes quickly to the area. Sometimes the adult approaches slowly and the baby just makes the sound incessantly and the adult may just rumble or sniff him and then leaves. Sometimes they will both be eating at the hay feeder and the older one will shoo away the younger one. When this happens it's normally because the younger one gets really close to the older's face or feet which the older one hates I think. All of this is done without teeth chattering or biting. The only thing is a lot of rumbling from the older.

So I'm worried the baby is feeling bullied by the adult? Like sometimes they seem to get along really well and other times it seems like the baby is being bullied. But they both get enough food. I would just like to know if anyone has experience with this older and younger boar dynamic and if it's normally for them to sort of do what I've described above. Thank you.

Hi!

What you are describing is normal dominance behaviour. Please be aware that bonding doesn't happen in just a few hours. The introduction (which runs through several phases, too) is followed by the dominance phase in which the hierarchy is fully settled and reinforced until the group is established around 2 weeks later. Make sure any houses in a boar cage always have two exits to no boar can ever trapped.

Please take the time to read these guide links below. You should find them very interesting and helpful. I assume that what you are describing is the typical (and very effective) submission screaming which can throw new owners.
Bonding and Interaction: Illustrated social behaviours and bonding dynamics
Dominance Behaviours In Guinea Pigs
A Comprehensive Guide to Guinea Pig Boars

Well, they've been together for 3 months. So is this just normal behavior between two boys when it's adult and baby? They don't bite each other so is it safe to assume they're fine?

The baby is hitting his teens now so he is will becoming more hormonal and trying out his dominance. As long as he knows his place in the hierarchy and is happy with it then they will be fine.

Ensure they have plenty of space (two boars requiring a cage of 180cm x 60cm), two of every item, and you respect the hierarchy by always handling the dominant piggy first.

The baby is hitting his teens now so he is will becoming more hormonal and trying out his dominance. As long as he knows his place in the hierarchy and is happy with it then they will be fine.

Ensure they have plenty of space (two boars requiring a cage of 180cm x 60cm), two of every item, and you respect the hierarchy by always handling the dominant piggy first.

I have them a 4x3 C&C cage to reduce any arguments. They will often run around the cage together randomly. I think they have plenty of space to escape each other. I make sure to give the older one food and snacks and handling first. Thanks for the advice!

I have them a 4x3 C&C cage to reduce any arguments. They will often run around the cage together randomly. I think they have plenty of space to escape each other. I make sure to give the older one food and snacks and handling first. Thanks for the advice!

A 4x3 is fine.

You can feed them at the same time. Sometimes the best thing with boars is to scatter feed veg and pellets around the cage - it encourages them to forage but also ensures no food hogging can take place

Back