• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Male Pig With Wound On Back

Status
Not open for further replies.

kej1

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi there, I am after some advice as I am all out of ideas! I took on a male pig recently and he has a large wound on his back. I think he once must have had mites and scratched himself silly. He can reach the wound with his mouth and feet, I have tried everything and as soon as I think we are getting somewhere he goes and opens it again. Tubigrip sticks to the wound, he can escape from socks! I'm at my wits end for him as he's so unhappy! :-( anyone think of anything else except surgery ?

Tbag

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score

kej1

New Born Pup
Reaction score
I have taken him twice, once he had antibiotics and they put tubigrip on him which just stuck to the wound. Then he had some metacam and suggested surgery? He is so sad, he has had two lots of xeno and I think the mites are gone, he just won't leave wound alone, as soon as it dries over it must itch so he just opens it straight back up again

Pebble

Banned
Reaction score
Hi there, sorry to hear your little guy isn't doing too well!

To me it sounds like there is still something going on if he's still itching at the area. Have you had him looked at by a vet experienced with piggies?

@Pebble recently took on two girls with terrible mites, her thread here may give you some tips on possible method for dealing with the itching and an ongoing skin condition.
https://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk/threads/2-more-dying-piggies.122408/page-8#post-1685028
I agree there may still be mite issues going on that spot-on is not necessarily strong enough to eradicate. You may need to go back for ivermectin injections.

This is little Beanie sporting a medium size ferret harness jacket over a melolin non-adhesive dressing that has been secured with a gauze bandage that also wound round to cross over in front of her front paws

All the info on treating her wounds and the products used is in the thread referred to above by @Tbag. Flamazine cream is very good for healing wounds quickly that have been caused by self-mutilation..

Hope this helps
x

Status
Not open for further replies.