• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

male piggie been done

Emma Curly

New Born Pup
Reaction score
hi everyone i had Dug my male piggie done last week he had 5 days of anti bioctics and pain meds took him back yest for his chexk up and they said to start anti bioctics again and more pain meds as he now has large lumps that may need to be drained :( hes not happy and I'm so worryed about him i really hope they go on there own :(

Attachments

• 64E7547D-2353-472C-A0E5-D007E2467B59.png
    64E7547D-2353-472C-A0E5-D007E2467B59.png
    171.8 KB · Views: 10
Sounds like an abscess, I have only dealt with two piggies with abscesses, one sadly passed as I have learned now I think the antibiotics were not strong enough and he should have had it lanced or removed sooner. The other one, my vet took a more aggressive approach with stronger antibiotics and surgery and I flushed it twice a day at home for 10 days. Good luck with everything!
Oh and your piggy is adorable, very unique looking! I love his fur!

Sounds like an abscess, I have only dealt with two piggies with abscesses, one sadly passed as I have learned now I think the antibiotics were not strong enough and he should have had it lanced or removed sooner. The other one, my vet took a more aggressive approach with stronger antibiotics and surgery and I flushed it twice a day at home for 10 days. Good luck with everything!
Oh and your piggy is adorable, very unique looking! thank you my vets are lovely and want to see him again monday so i will say ro habe it drained if its still there i adore him sooo much ive had piggies all my life but hes the most friendly loving little boy, i wont ever forgive myself for gettin him done if anything happends to him x

Poor Dug - abscesses are not nice at all.
The good news is that they are easily dealt with but do require time to care for.
Hope Dug’s clears up quickly

i just posted on my other thread about ringworm, ive been treating my girl mabel for a few weeks now and the. scabs and sores are fone and she has bald patches that the hair is now slowly starting to grow back, dug has been abit down in the dumps so I'm letting him spend time with marlene supervised of course and hes so happy do u think mabel is still contagous as i really think him spending time with the girls will really help him xx

i just posted on my other thread about ringworm, ive been treating my girl mabel for a few weeks now and the. scabs and sores are gone and she has bald patches that the hair is now slowly starting to grow back, dug has been abit down in the dumps so I'm letting him spend time with marlene supervised of course and hes so happy do you think mabel is still contagous as i really think him spending time with the girls will really help him xx

hi everyone i had Dug my male piggie done last week he had 5 days of anti bioctics and pain meds took him back yest for his chexk up and they said to start anti bioctics again and more pain meds as he now has large lumps that may need to be drained :( hes not happy and I'm so worryed about him i really hope they go on there own :(

Hi!

I am very sorry that you are struggling with post-neutering complications!

Please have a read of this guide here; it also lists post-neutering op complications including treatments.
Neutered / De-sexed Boars And Neutering Operations: Myths And Facts

In combination with a strong antibiotic (stronger than baytril), abscesses need to be kept open for as long as possible and flushed twice daily with a mild disinfectant, whether that is saline solution, hibiscrub or a diluted F10. They need to heal from the inside out and every little bit of infection needs to come out as you are otherwise faced with the abscess coming back worse. At the worst, you are facing another operation to remove the abscess capsules. Abscesses can be very painful.

If your boy is off his food (please weigh daily at the same time), then please step in with syringe feed top up as much as needed. Keep in mind that over 80% of the daily food intake is hay, which you cannot control.
Tips For Post-operative Care
Complete Syringe Feeding Guide

thank you ill get the name in a min of the anti bioctics hes on hes also on pain relife aswel, hes earing well amd not losing weight, i feel so upset for him this has happend we spend so much tome togther i cant bare for him to be in pain! i have f10 so if i need to clean with that i can, hes going back to the vets monday! as reguards to the girls should i just leave him on his own for now? xx

thank you ill get the name in a min of the anti bioctics hes on hes also on pain relife aswel, hes earing well amd not losing weight, i feel so upset for him this has happend we spend so much tome togther i cant bare for him to be in pain! i have f10 so if i need to clean with that i can, hes going back to the vets monday! as reguards to the girls should i just leave him on his own for now? xx

Please make sure that you get the concentration right and if necessary ask your vet.

How long post-op is your boy? Our recommendation is 6 weeks wait (the little baby in my avatar is the daughter of a supposedly safe over 5 weeks boar; not one of mine, I hasten to add). If he is past that 6 weeks safety threshold (which also follows RSPCA/UK welfare practice), you can leave him with the girls; if he still has waiting time to go, please keep him away from your sows anyway!

this is the anti biotics have a feeling its not strong enought isit?

Attachments

• 400C1DDA-F9B6-4203-B55B-8520A6B2724B.jpeg
    400C1DDA-F9B6-4203-B55B-8520A6B2724B.jpeg
    62.2 KB · Views: 3
Definitely a 6 week wait after neutering and if the girls you are talking about are the ones who had ringworm you should wait until their post-treatment skin test at the vet comes back negative, which takes about 2 weeks. Post-op waits and ringworm quarantine are hard when you can see the piggies are sad but it won't be forever.
Hope your piggies all get well soon, it will be worth the wait to see them all happy together knowing thete's no infection or pregnancy risks!

Back