• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Mali - soft poop

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beautifulmess

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I've noticed the past few days Mali has had very soft poop, so soft that it stays stuck to his bum and is mushed up in the cage where he's stood on it. I don't know when this started happening but i've noticed it twice, last week and yesterday and checked him today and his bottom still has mushy poop just inside it.

I'm going to make an appointment with the vet for tomorrow or Saturday (we have a half day vets on Saturday). Nothing else in his temperament has changed, he's eating everything I give him, dry and veg, he's nibbling bars, squeeking at other pigs around him and has dry nose, wet normal eyes and has all his fur, doesn't feel bloated, doesn't seem to be in any pain.

I've not changed his food, he's on pets@home pellets and normal hay. :...

Suzygpr

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
The first thing I do when a pig develops soft poo is to remove all veg from their diet, give plenty of hay and add a probiotic to their dry food. Once the problem is resolved I reintroduce the veg very slowly, usually after 5 days to give the gut time to stabilise, and only one type at a time.

Good luck at the vets, do update when you can.

Suzy x

Beautifulmess

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I gave him celery today only, early in the morning (I was told by paul, it's a veg that helps bind it, along with carrots) but I haven't given him anything else but hay and pellets). He's been cleaned out and has been in that cage a good 4-5 hours and I still see NO poo. :S Vets is Saturday morning. xx

Status
Not open for further replies.