• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Malocclusion of teeth - any thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lucinda

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Has anyone had any experience of an op for malocclusion where there are incisions made along each cheek and the back teeth completely extracted through the side?

Just wondered. No teeth problems here.

I was always told that extraction is a very last resort as its not very successful as it leaves the gums open to infection and the teeth grow again unless the root is removed which again will leave it open to infection

Is it possible to ask for a second opinion?
Can you see another vet, i was also told extraction last resort.
Perhaps check and see what Peter would have done.
Good luck

x

if 3 of us were all told same thing looks like there no way it would be attempted unless you have an unscrupliuos vet who just wants your money, I know none of mine at the vet hospital wanted to attempt it and would have told me to go to the mainland, which says to me Dont go there

Personally it's not something I would consider for any of my guinea pigs. I feel it would cause as many problems as it might "solve." :(

Barbara

I have a lionhead rabbit that i adopted from the RSPCA called Jake.

He has malocclision and had to have his teeth clipped, with nail clippers by the vets every 2-4 weeks.

He hated going to the vets so i asked the vet to show me how it's done. She quite happily showed me, and told me to still come in next time to clip them infront of her to make sure i could do it right.

I do clip them myself now, and up until afew months ago i had to have someone help me, but i'm so used to it (and so is Jake) that we just get through it quickly together.

After i've clipped his teeth, he licks his lips and jumps up on my chest so i have to give him a big cuddle. Atleast i know he still loves me haha

I wouldn't consider having his teeth out yet as we are doing fine, but perhaps would look into it for whn he gets older.!?!

Jeanette

Michelle, I certainly don't have a vet who is only interested in money. Roger has saved Scarby's life twice, is an excellent surgeon and doesn't always charge me- you must be thinking of someone else's vet!

Also, as I said on the first post, none of mine have teeth problems at the moemnt - I was only wondering out of curiousity.

I had a lovely natured rabbit who had to have her teeth clipped every 3 weeks. The vet the suggested having them removed. As I loved the rabbit and wanted her to be happy, i thought it would be a good idea, rather than having her teeth done all the time. It was the worst thing I could have done. She went through hell for a couple of weeks unable to eat properly and in lots of pain. she lost a lot of weight, and turned from a happy bun to plain miserable. About 6 weeks later, I realised one of her teeth was growing back! I took her to the vet again and it was all twisted and he said he would operate again. No way would I let her go through that again, and sadly had her pts. Unless the vet knows whats he's doing it is a bad idea and very costly both in money and heartache.

Lucinda said:
Michelle, I certainly don't have a vet who is only interested in money. Roger has saved Scarby's life twice, is an excellent surgeon and doesn't always charge me- you must be thinking of someone else's vet!

Also, as I said on the first post, none of mine have teeth problems at the moemnt - I was only wondering out of curiousity.

so glad your vet is good thats so important, did'nt mean you in particular had an unscruplious vet as you said you did'nt have any probs with teeth thank God, but vets in general one of us might come across one who might be in it for the money unlike our vets who are great

I would trust Roger completely if he thought it would be for the best I have to say. We had discusesd it for Dr in the future, if he hadn't become an angel.

awww at least DR knew you would have tried anything for him, I must admit when my vet talked about Patches teeth they did say that some one else who was as desperate as me to make their pigs teeth better did go for the op and it was'nt successful apparently infection set in ( probably more as its in the mouth a breeding ground for infection), its great if our vets discuss the fors and against any op its then our choice,
as in my Bears case for his leg removal, when she said it was only a slim chance I still took it, it did'nt work but i would have tried anything, and Heidi was willing to try for me, it is hard weighing it all up is'nt it ?

It's terrible! And I know and understand people have different opinions about all this, but for me I would rather lose a guinea during or after surgery than having it put to sleep because then I would know I had done everything. It hurts so much.

its one of the worse parts about keeping these littled darlings knowing when to say enough is enough, when Bear had his leg removed and he died just after the op i felt awlful becasue i put him through the op, I could have said no and he would'nt have gone thorugh it but then he might have just stood only a 1% chance that he lived , very very hard :(

michellemuffin said:
its one of the worse parts about keeping these littled darlings knowing when to say enough is enough, when Bear had his leg removed and he died just after the op i felt awlful becasue i put him through the op, I could have said no and he would'nt have gone thorugh it but then he might have just stood only a 1% chance that he lived , very very hard :(

I think most have been in this position and it is a hard decision to make. If you are anything like me money isn't a consideration, just their welfare, but you churn and churn things over in your mind.

Generally I too am of the mind that a tiny chance is better than no chance. But...I've seen some awful things when nursing, where chances were taken where the odds were too high and the patient sufferred terribly without hope of recovery after the operation. So, I try and stay as objective as I can when coming to a decision.

I've gone ahead and like everyone regretted it. I've gone ahead and the guinea has enjoyed good quality life for some time.
We can only do what we feel is best and ask our vets for guidance.

Barbara

money never ever comes into it for me it cost me £200 for Bear and he still died, its more the thought of doing it for my sake rather then theirs, am I being selfish making them go through an op when in fact it wont work am i clutching at straws, as i said the worst thing about keeping our darlings , :(

I was told by my rodentologist yesterday that a lot of vets don't even know that guinea pigs have back teeth :o :o

You are so lucky to have Roger Lucinda

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back