• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Mammary Tumor? & Foot Growth

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pepita

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi. What a wonderful resource your site is. I'm brand new and my daughter's 3 y/o guinea has a discolored and sensitive mammary. The guinea also has a fairly long growth on one of her feet. I've attached pics of her healthy mammary, her discolored one, and of the foot growth. I'd sure appreciate your feedback.
.2015-04-22 13.08.38.jpg2015-04-22 13.10.16.jpg20150422_122742.jpg

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi and welcome!

Take a deep breath and relax!

The discoloration is just normal skin colour; if the area was hairy, she would have a patch of brown fur there. ;)

The skin growth on the foot is called a "spur"; they are very common in guinea pigs. They only need addressing if they impede movement. Be very careful if cutting it back yourself that you do do not cut too close to live skin. If you are worried, either as your vet or leave be.
http://www.guinealynx.info/feet.html#spurs

Freela

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
The foot growth looks like a foot spur- it's not harmful, it's like a callus in humans. You can clip them back, if it isn't bothering the piggy I would just keep an eye on it. Some pigs get foot spurs and others don't, but they aren't harmful.

Like Wiebke said above, to me the nipples simply look like she she has darker skin in that area. Have they always been different colours? I have a pig with a white belly with one pink nipple and one brown nipple... she has brown patches elsewhere, and apparently would have a patch there as well if she had fur in that area!

Pepita

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Thank you both. That was speedy and good news. I never noticed the color on the mammary before. It also appears to me to have additional skin tags next to the nipple.

Thank you again!

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
If you are very worried, please have it checked by a vet, otherwise just keep an eye on it for any changes. I doubt that there will be any.
Mammary tumors are swellings below the nipple, underneath the skin. Crusts around the nipples usually indicate a hormonal problem/ovarian cysts.

As we have got members from all over world, we find it helpful if you please added your country, state or - for the UK - your county, so we can always tailor any advice and recommendations for what is available and possible where you are. It also helps to avoid misunderstandings between members from very different backgrounds and climates. Click on your username on the top bar, then go to personal details and scroll down to location. Thank you!

Pepita

New Born Pup
Reaction score
If you are very worried, please have it checked by a vet, otherwise just keep an eye on it for any changes. I doubt that there will be any.
Mammary tumors are swellings below the nipple, underneath the skin. Crusts around the nipples usually indicate a hormonal problem/ovarian cysts.

As we have got members from all over world, we find it helpful if you please added your country, state or - for the UK - your county, so we can always tailor any advice and recommendations for what is available and possible where you are. It also helps to avoid misunderstandings between members from very different backgrounds and climates. Click on your username on the top bar, then go to personal details and scroll down to location. Thank you!
Thank you. All good news. I've updated the location info. I sure appreciate your assistance. Wonderful!

Status
Not open for further replies.