• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Managing bumblefoot

Bradshaw Piggies

Forum Donator 2023/24
Reaction score
So after being hospitalised and apparently sitting in urine, my little Odin does have bumblefoot. The first exotic vet said it wasn’t but I got a second opinion today.
The vet said it will most likely never disappear but can be managed. Odin is on layers of towels, puppy pads, bath mats and fleece bedding. The vet suggested actually then adding a layer of hay on top of that? He also suggested aloe Vera.
At home I’ve been giving him Epsom salt foot soaks , using anti-bacterial cleaning wipes and adding sudocrem. I also use Vaseline as a barrier. The sores have shrank and aren’t as inflamed but are still there.
Does anyone have any advice for managing this condition? Can he carry on a normal life?

many thanks

Sorry I don't have experience of bumblefoot, but I'm sure someone will be along to help you with regards managing it. The only thing I would say is I don't know that sudocrem is recommended to be used on bumblefoot.

I'll tag @PigglePuggle @Piggies&buns

He is already on antibiotics following his dental. He’s also already on metacam.The vet didn’t mention any for his feet, just management. Should I ask again about antibiotics for his feet?

What antibiotics is he being given?

Vetbed can be good to use as it is soft and wicks urine away to the underlayer nicely.
You say he is on towels - do they dry quickly enough? I never found they did so I avoid towels as a bedding layer.
Hay isn’t absorbent so I’d personally avoid it while you’re dealing with bumblefoot

What antibiotics is he being given?

Vetbed can be good to use as it is soft and wicks urine away to the underlayer nicely.
You say he is on towels - do they dry quickly enough? I never found they did so I avoid towels as a bedding layer.
Hay isn’t absorbent so I’d personally avoid it while you’re dealing with bumblefoot

He is on Engemycin. But his last dose is today so maybe I should ask for a different one for his feet?
I can try the VetBed. The vet mentioned using baby pads (not sure what he means by baby pads though)?
I think a lot of the problem started when he was really ill in hospital and sat in his urine a lot

He is on Engemycin. But his last dose is today so maybe I should ask for a different one for his feet?
I can try the VetBed. The vet mentioned using baby pads (not sure what he means by baby pads though)?
I think a lot of the problem started when he was really ill in hospital and sat in his urine a lot

If he still has sores but not more antibiotics, then I’d speak to the vet about that.
Baby pads - you can buy mats which go under babies sheets to protect the mattress from leaky nappies, basically the same thing as puppy pads - I wonder if that is what the vet meant.
Yes, likely. Limited mobility, sitting in urine can lead to it

I presume that’s what he meant. I have layers of puppy pads and then bath mats on top. With fleece bedding. I’ve just ordered some VetBed now. I’ll ask about antibiotics. Thanks so much!

Hi!

You may find the tips in this guide here very helpful as it deals with guinea pigs sitting in their own pee and the longer term issues this can cause: Looking after guinea pigs with limited or no mobility

Please get hold of vetbed bedding (you can find lots online), cut it in smaller squares and change 2-3 times daily in the area that your boy is sitting in permanently. Dont have your boy sitting on hay; just have it nearby. It is not very aborbent.
Mild bumblefoot can often be gotten on top of.

Hi!

You may find the tips in this guide here very helpful as it deals with guinea pigs sitting in their own pee and the longer term issues this can cause: Looking after guinea pigs with limited or no mobility

Please get hold of vetbed bedding (you can find lots online), cut it in smaller squares and change 2-3 times daily in the area that your boy is sitting in permanently. Dont have your boy sitting on hay; just have it nearby. It is not very aborbent.
Mild bumblefoot can often be gotten on top of.
Thank you, I shall do that :) just ordered VetBed

Back