• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Massage Pad/cushion Recommendations?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sazmatazz

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi everyone, in the past few days Mabel has occasionally had a little bit of a gassy tummy, we think from eating spring greens. She's had infacol and we have stopped the spring greens and seems better. However, I am quite paranoid about bloat due to losing one of our previous piggies due to gut stasis, this was thought to have been caused by some sort of growth blocking her gut and she became very bloated and poorly. She was at the vet for 48 hours being treated but sadly passed away. We didn't do anything wrong in that situation, however you can imagine I feel awful about it, even a long time after.
As Mabel has not been bloated before until now, I think I will buy a vibrating massage pad/cushion just in case, just to make sure we can help her get rid of the gas if there are any future occurences.
I have searched the forum for recommended links however lots no longer work or the product isn't for sale anymore. Does anyone have any recommendations?

Thank you

Hi everyone, in the past few days Mabel has occasionally had a little bit of a gassy tummy, we think from eating spring greens. She's had infacol and we have stopped the spring greens and seems better. However, I am quite paranoid about bloat due to losing one of our previous piggies due to gut stasis, this was thought to have been caused by some sort of growth blocking her gut and she became very bloated and poorly. She was at the vet for 48 hours being treated but sadly passed away. We didn't do anything wrong in that situation, however you can imagine I feel awful about it, even a long time after.
As Mabel has not been bloated before until now, I think I will buy a vibrating massage pad/cushion just in case, just to make sure we can help her get rid of the gas if there are any future occurences.
I have searched the forum for recommended links however lots no longer work or the product isn't for sale anymore. Does anyone have any recommendations?

Thank you

Unfortunately I cannot help as have never bought one before. I am just curious as to how you know she is bloated? Just so I know what to look out for. Are you just judging it by the shape of her tummy? As my girls are very pear shaped so I often wonder if I would ever be able to tell the difference.

Will dig out the name of ours later on for you when I can find it. May be worth finding the trigger food using a food diary, we had to do this with treacle and it really helped her episodes of ileus.

Unfortunately I cannot help as have never bought one before. I am just curious as to how you know she is bloated? Just so I know what to look out for. Are you just judging it by the shape of her tummy? As my girls are very pear shaped so I often wonder if I would ever be able to tell the difference.
Hiya, it is largely due to the feel of her tummy, it felt slightly different but also felt like our other piggy's did when she was presenting as bloated (only she looked dreadful and was obviously in pain from the way she was behaving).
You can also sometimes hear the gas in their tummy. If you tap or gently flick the larger bit of their tummy, it will sound hollow if they are bloated. You can also tell if you are able to identify that they are pooping less or appear fidgety and uncomfortable compared to what is normal for them. Some will squirm and make sounds if you try to massage their tummy as it will be sore, but Mabel makes protest sounds about that all the time anyway as she hates her back end being stroked & always has done - she actually kicks anyone who dares to try!

Mabel has only recently started having spring greens again alongside her usual veg, with no other changes that I can think of, so fairly sure it's that. A food diary is a good idea :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back