• You can find lots of information on how to settle in, understand your new guinea pigs in our New Owners Guide Collection but please ask any questions you have in Wannabe and New Owners' section.

Matted fur.

MiloAndJake

Junior Guinea Pig
My jake has a very matted bum. I’ve cut the majoritiy of it out but it look great difficulty and made me have an angry piggie! He chattered his teeth all the way through the process. He hates his bum touched. How will i solve this issue... shall i leave it as its not so bad now.

dannif_piggies

Teenage Guinea Pig
My jake has a very matted bum. I’ve cut the majoritiy of it out but it look great difficulty and made me have an angry piggie! He chattered his teeth all the way through the process. He hates his bum touched. How will i solve this issue... shall i leave it as its not so bad now.
Although Ive never had a longer haired piggy, I would suggest to gently comb it a little at a time until it is full unmatted and then to brush daily/every other day to 1) prevent matting again 2) get him used to it, I hope this helps even just a little, this is what I would do in this situation 😊

MiloAndJake

Junior Guinea Pig
Although Ive never had a longer haired piggy, I would suggest to gently comb it a little at a time until it is full unmatted and then to brush daily/every other day to 1) prevent matting again 2) get him used to it, I hope this helps even just a little, this is what I would do in this situation 😊
It was far too matted to be brushed out it would of hurt him, ive cut a big chunk of it out and gently bathed him to soften the fur and managed to brush most of the rest out. He’s only 6 months old so isn’t used to brushing yet he runs round in circles and chatters his teeth and won’t sit still but hopefully they’ll get used to it when they’re older!

dannif_piggies

Teenage Guinea Pig
It was far too matted to be brushed out it would of hurt him, ive cut a big chunk of it out and gently bathed him to soften the fur and managed to brush most of the rest out. He’s only 6 months old so isn’t used to brushing yet he runs round in circles and chatters his teeth and won’t sit still but hopefully they’ll get used to it when they’re older!
At least you managed to get most of it out, maybe start by getting him used to it on the unmatted fur :)

Merab's Slave

Forum Donator 2017/18
Well done getting the matted fur off.
@Betsy has written a very helpful 2 part guide to trimming guinea pigs.
I’m sure she’ll be able to help.
There are other long haired piggies on the forum so I think plenty of good ideas will be coming soon