• UK storm warning - Danger of unseasonal high winds and falling trees! Please secure any hutches and sheds, and bring your guinea pigs and rabbits indoors if possible! Click Here for info
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Matted Hair, Possible Bite?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cat906

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Just had some lap time with Coco and she has a patch of matted hair. There's definitely something in it, can't see that it's blood but I'm worried it might be. Her hair is quite thick so I can't see anything on her skin. Do pigs often get matted hair from just poo? She doesn't live with a boar

Harry&lloyd

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Poo, wee, bedding, food, excessive popcorning have all caused long hair mayhem :doh:

Abi_nurse

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Even my short haired piggies find themselves with matts from time to time. As above, all sorts of little things can cause matts so don't worry. I think one of my boars gets himself matts as he's too lazy to wash them and clean his backside. Lol.

x

Freela

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Where is it? Some pigs have active grease glands on their lower back. It can cause matted, greasy-appearing hair. Pigs with longer hair can get matted just from having long hair, pee, bedding, etc. We trim the hair on our long-haired pigs to try to keep the mats to a minimum, but they still happen!

Status
Not open for further replies.