• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Matted hair

D

DM190921

Hello everyone, Iv has a look in posts but can’t find any answers so had to make one 😊. Princes is a long haired cross who dislikes grooming in any form. We manage now with a soft baby brush & on top is fine. The problem is her underside area near her bum. If I put my hand down over her tummy area towards back there is mats & I can feel them. Although small I need to get rid of them but I can’t. Iv tried my partner holding her so I can get access to them but she just gets upset & squirms. I can’t cut them unless I can get to them which I can’t & I don’t know what to do to get rid of them? Thank you for reading x

Hello everyone, Iv has a look in posts but can’t find any answers so had to make one 😊. Princes is a long haired cross who dislikes grooming in any form. We manage now with a soft baby brush & on top is fine. The problem is her underside area near her bum. If I put my hand down over her tummy area towards back there is mats & I can feel them. Although small I need to get rid of them but I can’t. Iv tried my partner holding her so I can get access to them but she just gets upset & squirms. I can’t cut them unless I can get to them which I can’t & I don’t know what to do to get rid of them? Thank you for reading x
Mine is long hair and also hates being groomed, as do most guinea pigs from my past experience. Me and my mum wrap her up in a towel so her head is facing away from us. Then one of us snips away the matts while the other holds her firmly, but not too tight to the point where we are squeezing her. She makes a racket and squeaks but eventually she does calm down and its done in 5 minutes. It might look messy but its better like that than in matts. Hope this helped😃

Mine is long hair and also hates being groomed, as do most guinea pigs from my past experience. Me and my mum wrap her up in a towel so her head is facing away from us. Then one of us snips away the matts while the other holds her firmly, but not too tight to the point where we are squeezing her. She makes a racket and squeaks but eventually she does calm down and its done in 5 minutes. It might look messy but its better like that than in matts. Hope this helped😃
Morning, the girls are my firsts & both let me brush their coats on top it’s just underneath on tummy near rear end. Both have their bums trimmed & Queenie is ok for that but princess isn’t. I can do the towel for that but it’s getting their tummies, we princess should I say because Queenie will be held ok to do underneath but princess won’t. My partner can hold Queenie up for me supporting her bum & I can do it but if you try with princess she won’t & will just squirm. I need to get the little matts underneath but can’t as she won’t let me. Iv seen the grooming guide which I follow but it’s not that it’s her tummy the matts are x

We have a good guide here about hair cutting with lots of useful tips and suggestions.
An Illustrated Guide to Hair Cutting

Longer haired piggies often need a trim around their hind end to keep things clean.
Morning, both girls get their rear ends trimmed so they keep nice & clean 😊. I follow the guide on hair cutting but it’s not the top hair that I can’t do it’s princesses bottom area on tummy near rear end that has little matts I can’t get to. She really doesn’t like being held upright if you know what I mean & maybe it’s because the matts are hurting her their. Will try again to get my partner to try hold her while I get them but so far no success x

Our guinea pigs are gorgeous long haired boys. Both squeel when being groomed. So much so that they look like we don't care about them. I could cry. I'm going to give the towel idea a go. Thanks for any advice. Also how go people wash and in particular dry them x

Back