• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Max Has Blood In His Urine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Veggies Galore

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Max recently had blood in his urine . The vet suspected cystitis and I thought it had cleared up with a course of Baytril and sticking to foods from the daily veg list. I have been giving them grass daily too. Max's urine was definitely clear on Saturday as I collected a urine sample - which I took to the vet.

Can grass exacerbate cystitis ?

I know if abs are stopped to quickly the infection can sometimes return.

I would however recommend any guinea pig who has had a full course of Abs and still displaying blood in the urine to be Xrayed as stones can form at any time. I've seen this first hand to have clear Xray's one month and then 3 stones the following month.

I know if abs are stopped to quickly the infection can sometimes return.

I would however recommend any guinea pig who has had a full course of Abs and still displaying blood in the urine to be Xrayed as stones can form at any time. I've seen this first hand to have clear Xray's one month and then 3 stones the following month.

Thanks for the reply.
I never finish a course of antibiotics early - hoomans or guinea pigs !
I was really optimistic at the weekend when he produced his urine sample and there was no blood in it.
Max is due a check up this evening ( he is due an eye check too - he got a hay poke a few weeks ago too). The vet has already discussed with me that , if this doesn't clear up - he may need a scan.

Can you see the blood in his Urine now?

I wasn't suggesting you would stop the course early, but over the years I have finished courses of Abs and discovered the infection returned quickly due to the abs course not being long enough.

It's good your vet has already advised a scan is the next step, as it's best to catch stones early so they don't compromise the kidneys to much - it also gives you peace of mind knowing that there's no risk of a blockage.

Always, always finish the course of any antibiotic even if you/the pig feels better or else they aren't effective and it contributes to antibiotic resistance in later times. This is part of the reason we have so many problems with MRSA etc in the UK....

It might be it needs a different antibiotic or a longer course. Different bugs are sensitive to different drugs and although Baytril is quite broad spectrum, it won't get everything. Something elsemight work better but if they can take a sample and check they might be able to suggest a more targeted antibiotic.

Cytease/cystaid can help too. It's a glucosamine supplement (designed for cats so make sure you don't get a chicken flavoured one!) which helps the bladder lining. One of my pigs takes it daily to help chronic bladder problems without infection.

Can you see the blood in his Urine now?

I wasn't suggesting you would stop the course early, but over the years I have finished courses of Abs and discovered the infection returned quickly due to the abs course not being long enough.

It's good your vet has already advised a scan is the next step, as it's best to catch stones early so they don't compromise the kidneys to much - it also gives you peace of mind knowing that there's no risk of a blockage.

Yes - I'm afraid I can see blood - this is what was on the bedding when I removed the hidey.

Blood in wee.jpg

I'll let you know how he gets on at his check up.

I would also be grateful if anyone has any views on whether grass has exacerbated this

Max recently had blood in his urine . The vet suspected cystitis and I thought it had cleared up with a course of Baytril and sticking to foods from the daily veg list. I have been giving them grass daily too. Max's urine was definitely clear on Saturday as I collected a urine sample - which I took to the vet.

Can grass exacerbate cystitis ?

No, grass and other mildly diuretic foods are actually helpful, especially in the early stages of a UTI (urinary tract infection) as they increase the urine flow and help clearing the bladder of any build-up of bacteria. Just don't overdo it with fresh greens, so you don't cause diarrhea. Baytril can additionally soften the poos and can also act as an appetite dampener/killer. Please give a pinch of probiotic 1-2 hours after the antibiotic to help support the gut flora. You may also want to up the vitamin C. Weigh daily at the same time in the feeding cycle to monitor the food intake. it takes 2-3 days for the acute symptoms to go down.

See your vet promptly if:
- Max is suddenly his appetite and losing 50g or more of weight or if he is lethargic (bad reaction to baytril)
- if the UTI is not going down or not responding to antibiotics well, or is coming back.

There are several types of infection lumped together under the umbrella of "cystitis", which rank from a bacterial urine infection to an inflammation of the bladder walls. If this is the case, you may want to have an x-ray done in order to also exclude a bladder stone or sludge. They all cause similar symptoms.
I would also recommend to ask for metacam (painkiller/anti-inflammatory) if your vet is not prescribing any to help with the acute pain and also tackle any inflammation.

Wishing Max a prompt recovery! I am currently going through the same with my Crisiant, who has been diagnosed with an UTI on Saturday as well; thankfully my local vets could fit her in before the weekend. She is on septrin and is now starting to respond to the treatment. Her urine was high in blood, but showing no major traces of calcium or crystals.

Aww Poor Max, let us know what the vet says - it may be worth asking for some metacam also, as this will help any inflammation in the bladder lining. After another course of AB's (maybe discuss trying Septrin this time as it has a good success rate with UTI's) I may be tempted to ask for an xray to rule out stones if it doesn't clear.

In my experience and from what I saw at clinic, grass can affect interstitial cystitis but not an infection. I agree with getting a further course of antibiotics and an xray to rule out stones or Interstitial cystitis.

Thank you all for the very helpful advice . I will discuss with the vet when Max has his check up.

I am sorry to hear that Max is unwell again.

When Enoch had his UTI last year we had him x rayed when he took a turn for the worst. A very tiny smaller than a pin head stone was found on the x ray but due to its size and location, we were advised to leave it in the hope he would pass it himself.

It took a good four weeks of ongoing septrin until his infection cleared up completely.
Fingers crossed and touching wood, Enoch has been fine since.

I too suggest you ask for an ultrasound or x ray to check for stones.

All the best for Max.

I am sorry to hear that Max is unwell again.

When Enoch had his UTI last year we had him x rayed when he took a turn for the worst. A very tiny smaller than a pin head stone was found on the x ray but due to its size and location, we were advised to leave it in the hope he would pass it himself.

It took a good four weeks of ongoing septrin until his infection cleared up completely.
Fingers crossed and touching wood, Enoch has been fine since.

I too suggest you ask for an ultrasound or x ray to check for stones.

All the best for Max.

Thank you.

Max is being a star patient. He got a bit grumpy this morning - he told me he didn't really want his Baytril - but he took it reluctantly. If he needs regular medication - I am happy to do this. He's a very special guinea pig.

Well, at least Max's eye is OK after his hay poke. Vet has decided to try a combination of Septrin and Baytril . Both Max's and Bess's uirne samples ( taken last Sat) had a trace of blood in so they're both on antibiotics for the moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back