• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Maxwell - Huge Ball Of Poo

Status
Not open for further replies.

worried val of york

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
Maxwell went to the vet yesterday evening because of tiny soft poos. I was given Septrin (0.6ml twice daily), Metacam (0.3 ml once a day with/afterfood) Supreme Recovery PLUS with vit C (2 20g sachets) and 2 sachets ofProtexin Bio Lapis (rabbits).
The vet said Maxwell also had some swelling to his eyeball which meant a bit of the white of his eye could be seen under the dark of iris.
Because I got home late I gave him one dose of metacam to relieve any pain.
I also mixed a part of one sachet of Supreme Recovery to feed to Maxwell, He had been eating pellets and hay prior to vet visit but I wanted to make sure he had sufficient food.

This morning I gave him some septrin, followed an hour later by a bit of cucumber with Pro C on top.

I then had to leave the house and returnd 6 hours later.

I brought Maxwell downstairs and gave him some more Septrin.

I then left him on my knee to check for any poo out put.
I lifted his body and saw a perfectly formed poo.
I then moved him slightly away from the lap pad he was on and saw this ball of soft poo pellets I estimate about 10 pellets comprised the ball.
He was not impacted yesterday, he just had smaller than usual soft poos and not many of them yesterday.
I have not given him any Supreme Science Recovery Plus yet nor have I given him and Protexin Bio Lapis (gut stimulant) yet.
My question is - ~Should I give him these now.

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
I would give him the recovery food and gut stimulant to help stabilise the guts. The more fibre he gets, the better. Please keep a close eye on his eye and se your vet asap if it gets worse.

worried val of york

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
Thanks. Maxwell is still on my knee and I have checked again - his poos as still small and soft and he needs help to dispel them.

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
Just continue to give as much fibre as you can until the guts have stablised again, then introduce fresh veg only slowly one by one.

Pebble

Banned
Reaction score
The sudden accumulation of soft poos could also be a warning sign that there maybe a problem brewing with his incisors (too long/too short/lost one/broken off etc) so is unable to extract them properly himself. Has the vet checked his teeth? Suggest you weigh him daily atm and monitor his food intake.

Hope he perks up soon
xx

worried val of york

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
Thanks @Pebble. Max's poos are a lot more normal this afternoon. He himself looks much more perky. But I will take your advice and weigh him and if necessary take him back to vet.

Status
Not open for further replies.